IGNORED

Has anyone tried integrating a CARDO (FREECOM) unit into a Schuberth C4 Pro helmet (i.e. including speakers and mic)?

Scott9999

I've seen a video (Champion Helmets) of a Cardo unit install with it's boom microphone into a C4 Pro helmet, leaving it with two Mic's and two sets of speakers. I suppose the positives are that it's a relatively easy install, and that it preserves the native preinstalled mic and speakers for addition of a Sena SC1M in the future.

However, I am loath to have the duplicate mic & speakers, and I already have the Cardo unit for myself and my wife's comms (and her helmet is not a Schuberth).

So, has anyone tried to splice wiring, or use some other approach to using the native SC1M mic and speakers for a Cardo unit install to the C4 or C4 Pro helmet? (Got pictures of it?) Did the Sena mic and speaker work well with the Cardo unit? (Speakers are speakers, and a mic is a mic, though in truth, the sensitivity of the installed mic might be calibrated more to the Sena and not Cardo comms systems.)

Just toying with some ideas.

5 hours ago, Scott9999 said:

So, has anyone tried to splice wiring, or use some other approach to using the native SC1M mic and speakers for a Cardo unit install to the C4 or C4 Pro helmet? (Got pictures of it?) Did the Sena mic and speaker work well with the Cardo unit

I'm guessing no, no one here has tried that..........:java:

• Thinking 1

I have a Schuberth C4 that had the SCi built-in.  When I got the Carbo Black, which came with 45mm JBL speakers, I tried using them over the ones installed.  I figured I had enough clearance, Clarence, and for the first 10 -20 minutes it seemed that way.   It did not last long and the pain got bothersome after a few hours.   I decided to try the splicing a 3.5 headphones jack into the helmet speakers.  For one, the wires are so small, it is a tough task.  I decide to splice only one speaker on the left, which was closest to the Cardo unit.   I had a hard time hearing the volume, almost like it needed an amp, or something.  The only thing I could tell you is that my splicing skills could have been the issue.   Stripping that tiny wire was difficult without losing length.  I did not solder the splice, which may have been anpther issue. 

On my SC1, one of the clips that holds the battery up and in, ended up breaking due to me being too rough with it.  The other one still held the battery up, but quite a few times the battery would dislodge and kill the intercom connection and required me to power it back up.  With that in mind, I ripped out the installed helmet speakers and put the Cardo speakers inplace.  That eliminated the the use of the Sena to communicate with Laura's 20S, but I figured out how to do a Cardo bluetooth connection to her's anyway.

If you end up trying to integrate as you inquired about, just do a great job on the wiring.  It would not hurt to seek a proffessional that works on electronics, TV repair shop or even a CB shop at a truck stop. Yeah, cannot hurt to ask.  The 3.5mm  is available on amazon.  Make sure you get the female connector to receive the speakers plug. :ohboy:

I can understand being hesitant to butcher wiring in your new helmet.   I did not want to rip out all the helmet interior either; I had better access to the left one on my helmet, which explains my feeble attempt. 

Hopefully, someone with better knowledge about wiring helmet speakers will give you better insight.  The wires involved were close enough in diameter, but I wonder if the wire impedance made a difference. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Scott9999 said:

I've seen a video (Champion Helmets) of a Cardo unit install with it's boom microphone into a C4 Pro helmet, leaving it with two Mic's and two sets of speakers. I suppose the positives are that it's a relatively easy install, and that it preserves the native preinstalled mic and speakers for addition of a Sena SC1M in the future.

However, I am loath to have the duplicate mic & speakers, and I already have the Cardo unit for myself and my wife's comms (and her helmet is not a Schuberth).

So, has anyone tried to splice wiring, or use some other approach to using the native SC1M mic and speakers for a Cardo unit install to the C4 or C4 Pro helmet? (Got pictures of it?) Did the Sena mic and speaker work well with the Cardo unit? (Speakers are speakers, and a mic is a mic, though in truth, the sensitivity of the installed mic might be calibrated more to the Sena and not Cardo comms systems.)

Just toying with some ideas.

You might try emailing Schuberth NA or calling them, when I was looking at the C4 {I have a few Schuberths} they said I could remove the speakers and mic but not the antenna to install anything I wanted. I went with a different helmet so I don't know if that is true or not. Good luck.

Terry

• Like 2

The trick to stripping really small wires is to just (slightly) burn the insulation with a flame. When it starts to melt you can pull it back with tweezers gently. If you get it too hot you can burn the wires. Practice on something old before you work on something good

• Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, 9Mary7 said:

That's what I get for SWAG'n it:dontknow:

No, you just confused "wisdom" with what people might do (no offense to @wbw6cos, I'm glad he went first!  🤣).  Any time that I'm a pioneer on something, I'm usually doing it wrong.

I haven't closely looked at the Cardo unit, just assumed "speakers, mic, and base unit" (antenna too?🙄).  However, as any audiophile will tell you, one key to good sound from speakers is good, thick, speaker wires.  Real copper kinds of stuff.   So, if either Sena or Cardo have microscopic thin speaker wires in their kit, I already don't think much of their quality.  I'd rather rewire the whole helmet with quality wire, then install crap.  

Just ripping it out all the SC1M stuff and rewiring it may be as good an idea as anything.   Lol, I had the LS2 Valiant II helmet apart down to the shell, before I figured out their gears for the chin bar were made of plastic, and gave up on it.   How tough can a Schuberth be?   I guess I'm gonna find out.

BTW, I ordered the XL, which seem to have some play side to side and front to back, not anything sloppy, but I wasn't certain it fit (i.e. their sizing is 58-59 LG, 60-61 XL, and I'm a solid, fat 59.5 head).  I got the small in, and oh-my-God, I couldn't fit that thing over my head with both hands pulling it apart.  I gave up and tried again the next day, got it on, but was really, really tight, pressure points everywhere.  I couldn't get enlarge the chin strap enough to be able to secure the strap, so I gave up.  I've got questions into Schuberth and RevZilla about buying larger pads and/or liner for the XL, but am pessimistic.  Decided that I can live with it. It's comfortable, and I don't see it spinning off my head in a crash.  Could be maybe 1CM tighter in some places, but otherwise, it seems OK. Ergo, on to the comm system fitment.  I have to work hard and fast to have thing ready by .... um.... next April?🙄🙈😖😖😖😖..

Im full of tricks tonight...If you get a helmet that is a little tight and you don't want to spend 20 hours riding with it, here is a trick for you.  Get a little basketball like in my picture.  Deflate it enough to place in the helmet.  Air it up enough to cause the shell to move just a bit...maybe 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch.  Don't break the dang helmet.  Let it sit at least 24 hours and longer if you can...preferably 48 hours.  Next time you put your new helmet on it will fit just like you broke it in.

IMG_3945.JPG

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Im full of tricks tonight...If you get a helmet that is a little tight and you don't want to spend 20 hours riding with it, here is a trick for you.  Get a little basketball like in my picture.  Deflate it enough to place in the helmet.  Air it up enough to cause the shell to move just a bit...maybe 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch.  Don't break the dang helmet.  Let it sit at least 24 hours and longer if you can...preferably 48 hours.  Next time you put your new helmet on it will fit just like you broke it in.

IMG_3945.JPG

Yeah, I get it - Thanks for the tip. 

You don't understand.  My chin was hanging out the bottom, and my cheeks were inverted.  I honestly grabbed the box to double check the size they set me, and then pulled the tag out in the helmet to verify, "Yep, they call this thing built for tiny elves, a "LARGE".  My head felt like a pimple ready to burst, like a medieval torture device.  I think it would have permanently hurt the basketball.  It'd never bounce again, and neither would I, if I tried to wear this thing.