IGNORED

Advice on RnineT Scrambler

David

Hi, folks. I'll introduce myself briefly for context. I was the fortunate proprietor of this site for a few years, developed the Riding Well curriculum w/ the help of some great fellow riders, and taught at Keith Code's SuperBike school (I was sponsored by Kawasaki, back then, before they switched to BMWs--hated them). On the BMW side, I've owned an RT and two GS models. Other bikes were KLR, KTM 450 EXC, Aprilia Tuono (my own racing bike), Suzuki something or other, etc. Sold all five bikes years ago and am now wanting to get back into it. I rode all over the world, hundreds of thousands of miles, but that's not the goal now. More relaxed, simple, closer to home.

With that in mind, I've been looking at the RnineT Scrambler. I like the ride height (I'm 5'11, 62 years old, 176 lbs), the lighter weight, and the upright riding position. I'd love a GS again, but not sure I want something that big and heavy. Money isn't much of a consideration--more just the right bike.

I'm a little all over the board, too. Test rode a new Ural two-wheel drive and loved parts of it, but was dissuaded by the weird sensations: e.g., pulling hard to the right under acceleration and the opposite under braking. It was a hoot and would be a great conversation piece, but I realized how impractical it would be.

Looked at an older Airhead ( '78 R80/gs or something), but that fell through. I could be tempted by an older R-head in great shape, honestly.

Anyway, what do you hear about the RnineT? Pros/cons? Am I an idiot? Those of you who were here when I was hanging around can keep your opinions to yourself. :)

IMG_3429.jpeg

IMG_3430.jpeg

A few years ago I delivered a friend’s R9T from Seattle to San Diego. I’d only ridden it a couple of times before that, and never more than 30 minutes at a time. It was not a scrambler, but he had some aftermarket bits that made it fit similarly, though a little less upright. 

I thought I’d be hating it by the end of the first day, but figured I’d try it anyway. Nope. Did three very fun 400+ mile days down the coast and was sad to have to give it up (and ride home

on a KLR!). 

I really enjoyed the power/weight ratio and how low and planted it felt. I’d very happily add one to the garage if I could. 

Hey David, nice to hear from you.

A friend of mine that I ride with frequently has one; it is highly farkled, 2014 with.  I posted it for sale here earlier this year and include the link below.

He likes it for around town, short rides, and in the mountains, but it is not that comfortable getting to and from the mountains.  That may be because of the suspension and after-market exhaust (which is loud).  He preferred his 850 GS as a more all-around and off-road bike, but had the opportunity to sell that, so he just has the R9T now.  

When I asked him recently what he would be getting if he sold the R9T, he replied that he was looking at the new Ducati Desert X.

Good luck with your search.

Randy

9 hours ago, RandyShields said:

He preferred his 850 GS as a more all-around and off-road bike, but had the opportunity to sell that,

A Cycle World article said the Scrambler's suspension was cheap and pretty underwhelming, they were not impressed. That and lack of wind protection would keep it off my list,  but hey it looks cool : )  Really liked the all round ability of the 800GS, good on road and pretty good off, about the most you can hope for in a bike required to do opposing tasks. That or a camhead GS would suit me as a 'just one' bike. 

Take the time to check one of these out,, I think you will like it.Don’t let the 660 number worry you,it will Go👍
If you can get a test ride wring it out on a twisty back road.You are welcome to try mine if a test ride is not available.

Probably should work on my phone posting skills......pic is next post

What TEWKS said.
Triumph has the Street Scrambler which is a 900 for milder off road, like gravel and fire roads, (what I have) and the Scrambler 1200. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, AviP said:

Get an old Royal Enfield Bullet 500 and you might never want a BMW again. YMMV

Or a new Royal Enfield Himalayan.

In early 2020, just before Covid struck, I took delivery of this R9T/5, partly due to health issues which made moving my then GS around too fraught !

All the R9T range are by modern standards modest in weight, & physically quite low & compact.

For my comfort I have lowered the footpegs & also raised the handlebars, courtesy of Wunderlich parts, but that is very much an individual thing. A quick check of specs. on the internet shows that these bikes are very similar in weight & dimensions to a /6 or /7, which at that time was considered to be a "big bike".

I agree that the early suspension was a bit budget, although I understand that new builds come with higher spec. suspension both front & rear. Again through choice, not absolute necessity, I have fitted a Wilbers rear unit to cope with my less than svelte bulk.

The bike pleases me for the use I make of it; around town, & on country by-ways. It is less than ideal for motorway (interstate?) travel, but I don't use it for that. Horses for courses. 

With centre-stand 01.jpg

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

Hey, thanks for all your feedback. I did buy one last weekend. Picked it up in BHM. I wanted to buy from the local dealer, but they had the base model, and I decided to get the nicer one with the upgraded suspension (nice) and the fancy bits (stupid but they look nice).

First reactions are super positive. I'll have a full review later.

Anybody want to join me at Barber on May 28-29, grab a spot at the SuperBike school. I'd love to have company. I'm also up for local rides in the Nashville area, and I'm up for east TN / north GA / west NC. Just reach out. me@davidcbaker.com

What's the status of the RidingSmart program that I developed w/ a few of you? Still alive? Interest in reviving it? Who owns this board now? I need to catch up. :) As you can see, I'm old now.

dcb.bmw.motorcycle.small.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Plus 1 1

Great photo!  Yeah, we are all older now. 

We have been getting 60-70+ at the STARTs and FARTs, which are the successors to the El Paseo events you started. They have been fun, and are expertly managed by Dave and the Bumbling Backroad team, with pizza nights, group meals, great route options and outstanding SE locations. We would love to have you join us.

As for RidingSmart, those of us who went through the program have benefitted from it and are better riders for it. Unfortunately, after a few years -- perhaps because of time commitments of qualified teaching staff, and also because of liability concerns -- the classes faded away. You could change that.

Best,

Randy

• Like 2
On 11/16/2022 at 6:02 PM, David said:

Hey, thanks for all your feedback. I did buy one last weekend. Picked it up in BHM. I wanted to buy from the local dealer, but they had the base model, and I decided to get the nicer one with the upgraded suspension (nice) and the fancy bits (stupid but they look nice).

First reactions are super positive. I'll have a full review later.

Anybody want to join me at Barber on May 28-29, grab a spot at the SuperBike school. I'd love to have company. I'm also up for local rides in the Nashville area, and I'm up for east TN / north GA / west NC. Just reach out. me@davidcbaker.com

What's the status of the RidingSmart program that I developed w/ a few of you? Still alive? Interest in reviving it? Who owns this board now? I need to catch up. :) As you can see, I'm old now.

dcb.bmw.motorcycle.small.jpeg

Hey David.

You look great!

Wish I could join ya.

I am the current keeper of the keys.

Larry

• 2 months later...

Looking good David!  I’ve been away for many years as well and just returned to the US after 10 years.   I will be at START with Melissa.  We arrive Friday and will stay for two nights.

Hope to see you there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I realize this is an older thread, but as I just joined the forum and own a 2021 Urban G/S, which is pretty much the same as a scrambler, so I thought I might offer my opinion of the bike after owning it for 6 months, and six thousand miles.

1) I love the sound and the feel, but I am an old airhead loving guy so noise and some vibration, I like.

2) The seat sucks, just like every BMW I have ever owned, but Sargent has a good fix for that.

3) The handling is great -- I really like the standard style forks better than the telelever I had on my previous RT, I just like the extra "road feel" I suppose

4) The rear shock is ok, but here in southern Arizona the roads are bad, so I added an Ohlins, honestly, not much better than stock in my opinion...I may look for something with tunable high and low compression adjustment in the future to see if the rear suspension can be improved more.

5) The lighter weight, and lower seat height are a good fit for us older riders who are aging (I am 67), but un-willing to give up on the life long love of riding.

As I said, I used to have an R1200RT, and the Urban GS can be used for touring with a rack added, bar-backs, a unit garage bag on the side, and a bag on the rear seat. But it's no RT -- 500-600 miles days don't work on this bike for me...more like 350 miles max per day for an old guy like me anyhow.

• Like 1