IGNORED

Listening to Radio, Engine Off?

cookie

My RT has my only access to Sirius/XM radio. Is there any harm to the bike if I turn the ignition on and listen (maybe for hours) to its radio in my garage? Obviously I need to plug in a battery charger.

In a car, I could turn the ignition to the "accessory" position and listen, but in that case I'm sure that the ignition system is not energized. I'm not so sure on this bike . . .?

I have listened to the radio while drying off or waxing the bike, which is only for 10 or 20 minutes.  I found that typically the CanBUS system will automatically shut down your bike after several minutes if the motor isn’t running(keyless ride ignition).  I have cheated that a bit by having the ignition on and kill switch off which seems to get  around 30+ minutes before the computer notices and shuts the bike down.  I’ve never tried to go for hours and I think you won’t have too much luck as  I think it the shut down function might have to do with monitoring the battery voltage.  That said, I have not tried this with a battery tender on the bike at the time.  I would guess you might need one that provides 2 or 3 amps of bulk charging to overcome the draw of the ignition and radio being on and provide enough current to keep the battery topped up at the same time.  Prolly better to go with the phone app and a Bluetooth speaker as Strataj recommended.

I have not been sufficiently clear. Since I do not have a "real" Sirius/XM subscription (the bike seemingly has a lifetime subscription, which I did not buy, and the original owner claimed to not know about), I cannot use a phone app, and a separate stereo (which of course I have) is of no use in this case.

My question really is whether listening to the radio on the bike, without the engine running, is harming the bike's electronics in any way. I know that during servicing, such as doing the brake flush with the GS911, I can have the ignition on for several minutes without any issue. So if I am charging the battery sufficiently, what bad things happen if the ignition is "on" for, say, two hours without the engine running?

On 11/1/2022 at 5:58 AM, cookie said:

My RT has my only access to Sirius/XM radio. Is there any harm to the bike if I turn the ignition on and listen (maybe for hours) to its radio in my garage? Obviously I need to plug in a battery charger.

In a car, I could turn the ignition to the "accessory" position and listen, but in that case I'm sure that the ignition system is not energized. I'm not so sure on this bike . . .?

Morning   cookie

I don't have a radio manual handy for the wethead so if your motorcycle came with a radio manual then look in that (or download the manual)

In any case I don't know if it still works but on older 1200RT's if you pressed the radio (on) button RIGHT after ignition is switched off  the radio would come back on for about 20 minutes. After the 20 minute shutdown if you pushed the radio button again you would get another 20 minutes.  

OK, free XM  gratas the last owner.  If you do go ahead with this long period radio runs you will likely have to cycle the ignition on and off every half hour or so.  I would guess there is no harm to the electronics themselves as they would be powered for hours at a time while riding as well.  The battery on a strong enough tender should help battery drawn down, but you'll likely need more than a 1 or 1.5 amp tender. I would also keep the engine kill switch off as it should power down the spark plug coils, and maybe the fuel pump too.

You might try to gather the information for the subscription through the provider if you can get the account number for that

3 hours ago, Paul De said:

You might try to gather the information for the subscription through the provider if you can get the account number for that

Thanks, Paul, for your remarks. I am going to let sleeping dogs lie so far as the Sirius/XM business goes, since I suspect that I have this "lifetime" subscription by mistake. The original owner claimed that he never subscribed, and in fact rarely listened to the audio system at all. And I'm the second owner . . .