IGNORED

Kings Canyon/Three Rivers.....Shorter Option for Extending Kernville 2022

Jim_B

As LongJohn mentioned,  the loop over the Tioga and Sonora Passes may be unrealistic in mid-November. Since I just got my new bike dialed in, I'm probably being a little overzealous...        :5210:

Kings Canyon/Three Rivers Option:

Highway 180 into Kings Canyon is currently scheduled to close Monday November 14 at 12 noon. Sooner if there is an early storm or extreme cold weather. Weather permitting,  we could stay in Three Rivers and ride it Sunday, but it would be a 250-300 mile day, depending on route. We would need to keep moving, as Daylight Savings ends November 6. It is possible we could ride it Monday if we get to the gate before noon, but I'm not sure. I am going to call tomorrow. The ride would definitely be a "game time" decision.

Have you considered rides inthe eastern sierras?  I stayed at a great motel in big pine a few yrs ago, newly owned by a  former professor of south Asian descent who took pride in his establishment. No fried egg and potatoes restaurants for breakfast at the time tho. 168 and white mt rd usually close later than the sierra passes. Depending on recent precipitation Sherman pass and nine mile cyn can be open. 

Nothing is set in stone....We have 3-4 guys who can ride to Wednesday PM. Butler maps shows lots of good riding north Kernville along the western slope all the way to Placerville. Since we are going to be at the beginning of that good area, we hoped to take advantage of it. Weather may change that. Thanks for the recommendation and advice.