IGNORED

An ailing Af-XIED ???

pharme

My ride, an '03 R1150GS Adv clocked 205k km, is experiencing some issues with the AF-XIED controller. 

I had it on the bike for about 2 yrs or so and it gave all the goodness that it promises. 

But recently, with the controller still installed, the idling was behaving erratically. The engine always starts fine and runs well but when at stops the idling could drop to 800+ almost to a stall. There were hesitation around 3.5 to 4k rpm and misfired. I initially suspected vacuum leakages, fuel lines, valve clearance, TBs (with LR cables well seated), TPS and Oxygen sensor but they were all checked. Fuel lines and filter were replaced less than 4k km ago, O2 sensor was replaced with a new piece and re-routed to run under the right exhaust and up the frame. It could have been several other components like stick coils but whenever the AD-XIED was removed, running the engine stock it'd run absolutely fine without hesitation or idle dropping. I switched the installation twice and the faults always showed up when the controller is hooked up.

GS911 shows an error "4865 Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Circuit Malfunction, Short-Circuit to Positive". This error goes off when the controller is removed.

The controller harness, black port and the module all look intact. The pins in the port and harness were cleaned up with De-oxit contact cleaner. The blinking on the module correspond to the # selected. The ground wire was attached to the big screw on a frame near the ECU region. Could the controller have gone bad, I wonder ?

Now I am running the bike stock and surely is missing the AF_XIED pulses, is there anyway to check on the controller's operating integrity or any idea what is going on here.

20 minutes ago, pharme said:

My ride, an '03 R1150GS Adv clocked 205k km, is experiencing some issues with the AF-XIED controller. 

I had it on the bike for about 2 yrs or so and it gave all the goodness that it promises. 

But recently, with the controller still installed, the idling was behaving erratically. The engine always starts fine and runs well but when at stops the idling could drop to 800+ almost to a stall. There were hesitation around 3.5 to 4k rpm and misfired. I initially suspected vacuum leakages, fuel lines, valve clearance, TBs (with LR cables well seated), TPS and Oxygen sensor but they were all checked. Fuel lines and filter were replaced less than 4k km ago, O2 sensor was replaced with a new piece and re-routed to run under the right exhaust and up the frame. It could have been several other components like stick coils but whenever the AD-XIED was removed, running the engine stock it'd run absolutely fine without hesitation or idle dropping. I switched the installation twice and the faults always showed up when the controller is hooked up.

GS911 shows an error "4865 Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Circuit Malfunction, Short-Circuit to Positive". This error goes off when the controller is removed.

The controller harness, black port and the module all look intact. The pins in the port and harness were cleaned up with De-oxit contact cleaner. The blinking on the module correspond to the # selected. The ground wire was attached to the big screw on a frame near the ECU region. Could the controller have gone bad, I wonder ?

Now I am running the bike stock and surely is missing the AF_XIED pulses, is there anyway to check on the controller's operating integrity or any idea what is going on here.

Afternoon pharme

It looks like you have isolated your problem to the AF_XIED so you probably need to call or E-Mail http://www.nightrider.com/   to see what their tec-help has to offer. 

It sort of sounds like you somehow got water/moisture into your AF_XIED. 

Hello DR as you are commonly called.

Appreciate the quick response. I will reach out to nightrider to see if they have sth that I can follow up with.

Water/moisture into my AF_XIED... very possibly. The gap between the tank and the bench seat tends to allow water to seep during rainy days and flooded the air filter box cover, that's where the controller sits. I have since modded a rubber piece that trails the water away to the sides and away from getting into that region. Moisture maybe but the pond of water never reaches the controller module. How did you even come to that conjecture, were there similar incidents reported in the past?

1 hour ago, pharme said:

Hello DR as you are commonly called.

Appreciate the quick response. I will reach out to nightrider to see if they have sth that I can follow up with.

Water/moisture into my AF_XIED... very possibly. The gap between the tank and the bench seat tends to allow water to seep during rainy days and flooded the air filter box cover, that's where the controller sits. I have since modded a rubber piece that trails the water away to the sides and away from getting into that region. Moisture maybe but the pond of water never reaches the controller module. How did you even come to that conjecture, were there similar incidents reported in the past?

Afternoon pharme

I have seen water/moisture enter other brands of aftermarket fuel controllers & make the fueling control do some very strange things.

48 minutes ago, pharme said:

Right. I will store the controller in a dry box for a while to see that'd rid off the moisture, if any.

Thanks DR.

Morning pharme

The old (early) Techlusion fuel controllers had issues with moisture entry.  When they would act up I would put the device in a large glass jar with tight fitting lid (with a fitting in the lid)  then hook to my A/C evacuation vacuum pump. Moisture boils in a vacuum so a couple of hours in that vacuum chamber would boil the moisture out. This proved out the problem was a moisture issue so a call to Dobeck Performance & they would usually send out a new one. 

I would use that same vacuum jar when my water-resistant watch would fog up inside. Problem with water resistant is moisture can still get in but it is sealed just enough that the moisture can't get out without help. 

The only time that I couldn't get the vacuum jar to work is if salt water got into the unit as that salt water left permanent damage to the electrical circuits. 

Hi DR, just to report back. I have reached out to nightrider and communicated with Mike from Beemerboneyard. As a resolution, I bought a new piece from Mike as a discounted price since the extensive troubleshooting that have been done has no yielding outcome. Thank you for the assistance here. 

• Like 1