IGNORED

Extending the Death Valley (Kernville) Ride

Jim_B

Retirees....seems like we have a few riders that are free from work obligations. Hopefully over the next few years we can take advantage of that extra freedom.  Ed and I have been discussing ways of extending some of the annual rides. Since we are going to be in Kernville, Butler Maps shows lots of great riding all along the western slope of the Sequoias and Sierras. Possible plan, road closures permitting, is to cross the Sierra Nevada Range riding Tioga and Sonora Passes. See route photos.

Possible Itinerary:

Sunday to Oakhurst - Sequoia foothills

Monday to Sonora -  through Yosemite , Tioga Pass, Sonora Pass

Tuesday to Clovis - Sierra Foothills

Wed to home - 270 highway miles for LA/OC guys

8 of the last 10 years the passes have closed within days of November 15th, so we will be cutting it close. We may have to end it in Oakhurst.  

Also, for anyone who can only extend a day,  perhaps join us to Oakhurst, then ride home....

I have GPX files I can post if there is some interest.

Kernville to Oakhurst (Sunday).JPG

Oakhurst to Senora.JPG

Sonora to Clovis.JPG

Good idea. A week long trip be ma y be stretching it for me tho. I tried going from Beatty thru Yosemite one year and by the time I got up to 10k’ there was no snow, but there was ice. A ranger saw me inching along and stopped me to tell me to turn around. 

8 hours ago, longjohn said:

Good idea. A week long trip be ma y be stretching it for me tho. I tried going from Beatty thru Yosemite one year and by the time I got up to 10k’ there was no snow, but there was ice. A ranger saw me inching along and stopped me to tell me to turn around. 

No doubt weather and road conditions will determine where we go. If we can’t ride over the passes, we will likely do an out and back to Oakhurst, spending Sunday night there, then Monday night back at The Kern Lodge. We are not planning on making reservations for the extended days, as we are off-season and plan is subject to change. I checked and we can get rooms with 2 queen beds plus breakfast buffet in Oakhurst and Sonora for $90-$110 through Expedia (probably cheaper if we call direct).