IGNORED

Helmet fitment - Schuberth C4-Pro

Scott9999

I've been researching Schuberth's C4-Pro helmet, based on the half-price deals that @Rougarou was kind enough to share, and have a fitment question for those of you who ride with these.  

I'm right at about 59.5 CM, a half CM more than the LG size spec, and half CM less than XL.  Since this helmet comes in two shell sizes, i.e. XS-LG, and XLG-3LG, it's not just a matter of a half CM, but going to a larger shell for the XL, as well.  I've been in a "L" sized helmet for as long as I can recall, but in my ...uh... later years, I've been told that my head may have swollen (as in, becoming an arrogant twit  🤣🤣🤣), so I guess with age, maybe I am a half CM larger.

Anyhow, can folks wearing Schuberth's, and/or the C4/C4-Pro tell me if the helmet fits tight, or lose?   I can return it in any case, but a replacement LG/XL might not be available (i.e. half the sizes are out of stock, so this is probably a product close out). 

My inclination is to go with the Large size, i.e. fitting bit tight versus sloppy, and give it it on a couple of late season rides, to see how it fits.  It's pre-wired for Schuberth's proprietary comms, so I will probably fit my new Cardo unit on it, rather than shell out for Schuberth's SC1 system.

Of course, my preferred colors, both High Viz and White are out of stock.   Silver probably isn't much different than White, from a visibility perspective, so I'll probably go with that over black.

Thanks in advance, for the advice and feedback.

Schuberth's notoriously run smaller than the stated size of other helmets.  If you wear a large in another helmet, the Schuberth large will likely be too small. 

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 2

Wow, do I feel blessed.  

I received the XL White Schuberth C4 Pro, and of course, it's (probably) too large.  It's close, passes most of the fitment "tests", it's very comfortable, but there's just a little too much play.

Anticipating that this might be the case, I had been looking at the C4 Pro's still available at RevZilla's in a large size.  The only one left was a Schuberth C4 Pro "Merak" Helmet.  As far as I could tell, the only difference was the paint, and it's about $70 more ($399). 

So, within 30 minutes of having received the helmet, I was on the phone with RevZilla asking about a possible exchange.

1. The white XL had arrived previously opened, and very probably, previously worn.  (The box was shop worn, no tags, the vinyl cover on the face shield was obviously pasted back on, and the inner liner had been removed, and only partially reinstalled.)  I explained that to RevZilla, i.e. the helmet appeared new and unused, but was obviously a previous return.   They gave me a $20 credit on the spot.
  2. I asked about differences in the Merak helmet, about buying it possibly possibly returning the White XL.   The customer service rep processed the sale on the Merak immediately, plus added a free pre-paid return shipping for whichever one doesn't work out.  (Normally, the customer has to pay for return shipping.  It's not much, but still, RevZilla bent over backwards on two highly discounted helmets, and I appreciate it.)
  3. I checked back just 4-5 hours later (i.e. actually, I still had the browser open to RevZilla's advertisement for the helmet), and now ALL of the remaining C4 Pro's are $649 ($749 for the Merak).  The sale is over, and I got the large Merak helmet just before the end of the sale.
  4. I'm guessing that the LG will fit me well, but the only way to tell is to have both the LG and XL in hand to verify fitment. 

Talk about fortuitous timing.   The XL arrived a day early, and 30 minutes after delivery, I bought one of the last Schuberth C4 Pro's on sale.   In my book, it's "Praise the Lord", and "Thanks, RevZilla.  You just earned yourself a happy customer, who'll soon be back again."

• Like 2

To close this thread out, I received the LG size, and it's far too tight, near impossible to fit over my head, pressure points all over the helmet, and the chin strap can't be extended enough to latch across my chin.  On the other hand, it IS snug.  In any accident, my head will be gone before this m***erf***cker comes off it.  🙄😣   Referring back, the XL I first bought feels comfortable, fits well, doesn't have a lot of play, i.e. it's not sloppy large, but it can move a half inch swinging my head side to side, and with determined effort, I can pull it down over my eyes, or swing it upwards until the back of the helmet contacts my neck.   It's probably too large, but not by much.

I reached out both to RevZilla and Schuberth.   Upshot of those conversations is that the pad and liner upgrades available, won't do anything to upsize a LG helmet, or downsize an XL helmet,  If you're between those two sizes (i.e. say, half of Americans), you're outta luck on a Schuberth.  

Schuberth's sizing:

LG:  58-59 CM

XL:  60-61 CM

Shoei Neotec II (for comparison)

LG:  59-60

XL:  61-62

.... and, Shoei offers oversized and undersized pads to upsize or downsize their LG and XL.

FYI, Schuberth sent me a pad sizing chart, which may or may not be available elsewhere on the web, but I'm adding it here (since I have it).

One more thing:  The build date on the XL helmet as 2/2021, so these helmets are quite old, and it's obvious why Schuberth is blowing them out on this sale.  You're only getting maybe 65% life available to the helmet.

So, the large is definitely going back.  I'll have to sleep on the decision regarding the XL.  While the C4 Pro at $323 is a true bargain, it's not free.  If it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit, but I'm a perfectionist, too.   On the other hand, Shoei's not discounting anything, and their helmets are still $800 (and $900 for anything that's not a solid color).

And finally, Thanksgiving "Black Friday" sales are coming, and with crashing economies around the world, there should be other helmet deals out there.   Again, time to sleep on the decision.

SCHUBERTH_PADS_SIZING_GUIDE.pdf

9 hours ago, Scott9999 said:

To close this thread out

Thanks for the report.  Not surprising from my experience.  That said, I've read that the new C5 is closer to the slightly, standard sizing of other helmets, and also will be available with different pad sizes for all 4 sides inside the helmet to get the fit better.  I look forward to the reviews.

Last year I needed to replace my old C3 and narrowed the choices to a new C4 or the Neotech2 - the C5 was not released yet. I tried the C4 on in both L and XL and it was in no way a good fit for me. The L was painful to have on for just a few minutes and the XL was not much better except it was also loose. I went to the Shoei and slipped it on like it was custom made for me. I left the shop with the Shoei. After two seasons with it, I'm still very happy with the helmet. 

I'd be interested to try the new C5, but it will be a while before I need to buy a new lid again. 

4 hours ago, EdM said:

Last year I needed to replace my old C3 and narrowed the choices to a new C4 or the Neotech2 - the C5 was not released yet. I tried the C4 on in both L and XL and it was in no way a good fit for me. The L was painful to have on for just a few minutes and the XL was not much better except it was also loose. I went to the Shoei and slipped it on like it was custom made for me. I left the shop with the Shoei. After two seasons with it, I'm still very happy with the helmet. 

I'd be interested to try the new C5, but it will be a while before I need to buy a new lid again. 

Lol, you're experience is identical to mine.  Something tells me, from the last response I received from Schuberth's customer support, that we're not alone.  There's a reason these 18 month old helmets didn't sell.  Fitment.

This response was, unlike the previous, unsigned.  Ya gotta appreciate their honesty, though:

I understand your frustration. The people that brought the world the C4 series are gone and that’s why the new management created the C5 to fit more people. You can also get some 5-8mm closed cell foam, cut it into a doughnut shape and place it under your XL pads. Just an idea that some customers have done.

Sounds like the C4/C4 Pro debacle resulted in some changes at Schuberth.  And no, I'm not about to buy close cell foam, and start modifying the interior of a motorcycle safety helmet.  

I got out of the house today, went over to a Cyclegear store, and tried on some helmets.   Which helmets didn't matter, I wasn't there to buy.  I had my XL Scuberth C4  Pro in hand, and asked the counter folks if it also looked large to them.  They agreed, based on the slop in fitment.  I tried on a couple of other helmets.  When the helmet fit, it was obvious.  For example, their house helmet (Sedici Systema II) felt snug, maybe even a little tight, but I could use David's ( @Skywagon) deflated basketball tip, to make it just right (or maybe even, just wear the dang thing).  The Large Schuberth, by comparison, felt like I was trying to wear one of my wife's small sized helmets.  And as I've already written, the XL Schuberth just moved around too much, even before break in.

So, I'm done.  They both go back.  Just an experiment gone bad.  I have the winter (including Thanksgiving Black Friday sales) to search for a replacement.  Of course, my favorite target is the Shoei Neotec II, but that's only because it's $800.  I'm sure I'll like a $1000 helmet even more. 🙄

I am going to spend some coin, but my limit is about $500 to $600.  Looking for safety/quality obviously, good fit, maybe 3.5 lbs, ugly is fine, but high viz or white is most likely.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Scott9999 said:

I am going to spend some coin

You can't take it with you!!!!! :rofl:  Probably why I'm seriously looking at one of these.........:5188:

image.thumb.png.bdf4af81cf9b5956a4a1e5b0658f408c.png

• Confused 1