IGNORED

Oem 12v sockets

mos

Have a 2017 R1200RT . The tow 12v bmw sockets are useless , only good for 5 volts . I am looking for a pigtail that I can rewire these oem sockets direct to the battery . Where can I get the pigtail or should I splice and make my own ? 
thanks 

1 hour ago, mos said:

Have a 2017 R1200RT . The tow 12v bmw sockets are useless , only good for 5 volts . I am looking for a pigtail that I can rewire these oem sockets direct to the battery . Where can I get the pigtail or should I splice and make my own ? 
thanks 

Morning  mos

If they are 12v sockets then they are good for 12 volts. Did you mean 5 AMPS? 

The OEM sockets are rated for 10 amps total so you get 10 amps if only using one socket, or 5 amps on one & 5 amps on the other if using both at the same time, or 7 amps on one & 3 amps on the other , etc. As long as the total for both adds up to 10 amps or less.

You can make your own 15 amp fused harness then disconnect the OEM harness & connect your own, problem is in finding the correct sized terminals & proper fitting connector.  

The other option is to cut your OEM harness & splice the socket end to your homemade fused harness.

The onboard power sockets are only rated for 10 amps due to the small terminal pins but they seem to be able to  handle 15 amps without issues. 

Powerlet used to make a replacement battery-direct fused harness but they went out of business.  I think they are back in business under a new owner but not sure if they have battery-direct harnesses available to fit existing small pin sockets. The Powerlet (if they have a kit to fit your wethead) will probably also take installing new larger terminal power sockets.

Powerlet link --     https://www.powerlet.com/

Yes I miss spoke , I meant amps on socket .

I have gerbings heated jacket liners . I think they draw about 7 amps . 
So I will check powerlet but I may make one home made ,fused pigtail to the battery and the other should power the other gerbings jacket liner . 
Right ??

38 minutes ago, mos said:

Yes I miss spoke , I meant amps on socket .

I have gerbings heated jacket liners . I think they draw about 7 amps . 
So I will check powerlet but I may make one home made ,fused pigtail to the battery and the other should power the other gerbings jacket liner . 
Right ??

Morning   mos

That is how I run mine, front power socket 15 amp fused battery direct & rear socket still on the 10 amp factory computer controlled circuit. 

With no full time 12v to rear socket I have fewer issues with the power socket internally forming green oxidation & causing a parasitic draw as I have a water softener on my home water supply system.

When I plug one old style liner , large wiring , must be 20 years old, it shuts the oem socket down . Is the oem socket good for 10 amps by its self ?

32 minutes ago, mos said:

When I plug one old style liner , large wiring , must be 20 years old, it shuts the oem socket down . Is the oem socket good for 10 amps by its self ?

Afternoon mos

According to my manual it is 10 amps total so just one should be 10 amps but look in your riders manual as that will give you the specs for your specific motorcycle. (look around page 189) 

20 hours ago, mos said:

When I plug one old style liner , large wiring , must be 20 years old, it shuts the oem socket down

Sounds like the old girl is pulling some amps........:java:

1 hour ago, 9Mary7 said:

Sounds like the old girl is pulling some amps........:java:

Morning  9Mary7

Yes, the (pre micro-wire) Gerbings full jacket liners were a pain to run on my old low watt output dirt bikes. If I ran it full power it would flatten my battery in no time even at higher RPMS. 

The later micro-wire liners, & especially the heated vest, were much better.

The problem with the older large wire (pre micro-wire) liners on the later BMW (computer controlled) power outlets was the even with a heat controller it could overload the socket "crow-bar" & shut the circuit down. The newer Gerbings controllers are pulse width modulated so just pulse 12/0/12/0/12/0 volts (the more 12v on time vs 0 volts off time controlled the heat output) so the 12v (full load) pulse was enough to cause issues on some motorcycles. 

On 10/23/2022 at 3:45 AM, mos said:

thanks 

I am not sure if your question has been answered.  If you want a replacement socket that you can wire directly to the battery, you can use stuff by Powerlet.  They have a variety of adapters.

Cap

I"ve been using a 12 volt Milwaukee brand hooded sweatshirt for a number of years now . On the highest setting ,three hours is about all I can get. Granted the battery is far from new . 

I also use the  hoody for consedrably more activies than riding. I also never have to remember to unplug it before I get off the bike ...

If you are just worried about heated gear, you might try these. I have been using one of these cheap AliExpress heated vests and have been surprised how well they work if you follow the directions. A charging brick will last nearly a day. If I need more I can carry another brick or just plug into my phone charger. For the price, they are hard to beat. Note: sizes run small.

Screenshot 2022-10-24 6.08.45 PM.png