IGNORED

Test Ride

RPG

My buddy picked up a beautiful 2016 RT with all the options. 22k miles.

I've been toying with the idea of a new RT to replace my '04 (114k) so when offered the chance to test ride his, I took him up on it.

Noticeable differences:

1. The wind management is improved. I was constantly looking at the speedometer and noticing 70-75mph when I felt like I was going maybe 60.
  2. The torque. Rolling on the throttle above 3 grand is like night and day over my old RT. I have no complaints with my bike, but the improved torque is quite noticeable.
  3. Noticeable increase in smoothness. My RT is a bit buzzy north of 4 grand. The 2016 was about 50% less IMO. Still has that Boxer Character.
  4. Shift Assist. Not sure if I was doing it right, but holding the throttle and upshifting wasn't too smooth. I'll stick to using the clutch
  5. Where's the heated grips button? Buried in a menu somewhere?  Not sure I want to fiddle around with menus and taking my eyes off the road. Especially here in MI where EVERY drive/ride, you have the potential for a deer collision.
  6. Other than that, it still felt like an RT, and that's a good thing. Razor like handling and feels 100 lbs. lighter in the turns.

• Like 3

heated grips and seat are controlled by the whizzy wheel.  It's pretty easy.  I think there are 10 levels of heat if I remember correctly.

Not an in-depth review for sure, just wanted to share a few items after about a 40 mile ride.

And to be fair, my '04 RT still runs perfect, uses zero oil, has a super comfortable BMS saddle, everything works (ok, I guess I gotta go in an figure out why the low fuel lamp isn't working), and I still think it's design is beautiful. But the newest RT's are growing on me.....

Oh, OH, I forgot to mention the cruise control. Never used one on a bike before. That alone was pretty sweet. I understand the latest models have Adaptive CC. I have it on my Ford Edge ST and it's more of annoyance than a feature IMHO.

• Like 1

Great review RPG. Some folks change bikes a lot, I tend to hold on to them for a while.  My first was a 71 R75/5, then an 81 R100, 91 K100RS, 02 RT, 12 RT, and now an 18 RT. All I can say is that the differences between each of these bikes was stunning. Changes in electronics, lighting, switches, brakes, combustion, torque, suspension, transmission and so on. I expect that my longer time spans between bikes really accentuated the changes. For example, going from drum to disc brakes, or Bing Carbs to injection, and no more points and condensers. I remember reading somewhere that BMW makes over a 100 refinements each model year.

I can't expect that there can be too much improvement to this 2018. I was at the dealer the other day and he was trying to sell me a 2022 and I asked him how it was different from my 2018 and he pointed out a few things but not enough for me to give up this ride. Part of that being that I have achieved something never before obtained, total FARKLE Zen Satisfaction. I can't think of anything else I need or want. 

Good luck in your deliberations.

• Like 4

Then there is the downside, just like with automobiles. All these improvements come with greater complexity. The 2018 valve adjustment is a bear. So is getting to the air filter. If the suspension fails, a new shock sets you back a bundle. If my bike decides to stop running on a trip, there is little chance that I can figure out why. An so it goes, always trade-offs. That's life.

• Like 2

The only plans I have for a new RT is if I win the MOA drawing next month and even then, the taxes will probably force me to sell it.😆

• Like 2

While the whizzy wheel can have some functions buried down the many combos of clicks and spins which would be irritating if not for the programmable quick access button which you can assign to any function.  Mine is set to jump to the heated seats and grips menu. Somebody on the whizzy wheel design team was paying attention and recognized the shortcoming you noted of this switch gear system.

image.png.a287ce8bd4f1e2a007f5f0c1201955e6.png

11 minutes ago, Paul De said:

While the whizzy wheel can have some functions buried down the many combos of clicks and spins which would be irritating if not for the programmable quick access button which you can assign to any function.  Mine is set to jump to the heated seats and grips menu. Somebody on the whizzy wheel design team was paying attention and recognized the shortcoming you noted of this switch gear system.

image.png.a287ce8bd4f1e2a007f5f0c1201955e6.png

Thanks for adding that.

On 10/19/2022 at 2:15 PM, MichiganBob said:

Great review RPG. Some folks change bikes a lot, I tend to hold on to them for a while.  My first was a 71 R75/5, then an 81 R100, 91 K100RS, 02 RT, 12 RT, and now an 18 RT. All I can say is that the differences between each of these bikes was stunning. Changes in electronics, lighting, switches, brakes, combustion, torque, suspension, transmission and so on. I expect that my longer time spans between bikes really accentuated the changes. For example, going from drum to disc brakes, or Bing Carbs to injection, and no more points and condensers. I remember reading somewhere that BMW makes over a 100 refinements each model year.

I can't expect that there can be too much improvement to this 2018. I was at the dealer the other day and he was trying to sell me a 2022 and I asked him how it was different from my 2018 and he pointed out a few things but not enough for me to give up this ride. Part of that being that I have achieved something never before obtained, total FARKLE Zen Satisfaction. I can't think of anything else I need or want. 

Good luck in your deliberations.

I was perfectly happy with my 2002  1150RS, but couldn't quit cornering like there were no deer, elk, slick spots, rocks or other unforeseen hazards around the corner. I sold it not because of any flaw I perceived in it, but so I would survive long enough to mature. I was 66. Now at 73 I have a new-to-me 09 1200RT-P.  Without the back-to-back comparison, I don't notice any significant differences (an aging memory has its benefits).  I do love the smoothness, refinement, easy ability to get up to speed, effortless overtaking, impressive braking ... I just don't remember the '02 lacking any of that.  I want nothing more in a day tripping bike. 

For me the day will never come when I have a computer screen on a motorcycle, not ever!  I sold my '04 R1150RT when I found my like new with only 950 miles FJR in '16 and it has all the attributes described by the thread starter and then some.  The FSM is absolutely second to none as well.  IMO, BMW has Become like a Tesla on two wheels.  No thanks, not in this lifetime!

On 10/19/2022 at 12:10 PM, RPG said:

Not an in-depth review for sure, just wanted to share a few items after about a 40 mile ride.

And to be fair, my '04 RT still runs perfect, uses zero oil, has a super comfortable BMS saddle, everything works (ok, I guess I gotta go in an figure out why the low fuel lamp isn't working), and I still think it's design is beautiful. But the newest RT's are growing on me.....

Oh, OH, I forgot to mention the cruise control. Never used one on a bike before. That alone was pretty sweet. I understand the latest models have Adaptive CC. I have it on my Ford Edge ST and it's more of annoyance than a feature IMHO.

My dealer is having trouble getting in RTs, but every one who comes in asking for one is adamant about it having ACC. 

Ahhhhh, but that horizontal twin has been talking to me on one model or another since 1971. It's an old friend that comforts me. 

The nice thing about menus is that folks have a lot of choices.

• Like 1