IGNORED

Moto jackets zip to pants.... which brands mate up?

Twisties

Ok, the big selling point when I updated my 15 y.o. moto pants last week was that they came with a matching zipper to sew into my existing jacket.  I had been thinking I would need a new jacket, too.  But the salesman convinced me otherwise.  Sharon thought she could do it.  But, we were in Denver and my jacket was back home in Cortez, so she couldn't really look at it.  See where this is heading?  So, I spent more than I planned on the pants (thinking I didn't need a new jacket) and opted for Klim Carlsbad, a GoreTex version with only a single layer.  We got home and after some consideration I find I am in need of a new moto jacket, at least if I want to zip the pants and jacket together, and I do.

I like the Klim Carlsbad jacket, but I'm thinking it's not going to be a summer thing for me, notwithstanding reviews I've seen where some people do ride with it in summer.  I might want to consider something like the RevIt Sand 4 (I'm less concerned about layering on the jacket than the pants, and I think it has better ventilation), or even a mesh design.

The question is, do I have to buy Klim ( I think all Klim models will zip together?), or are there other brands that mate up?  Anyone see a list of compatible zippers?  Google was not my friend  :-( 

We're back here in Cortez and Denver is 8 hours away... so I can't just run in to a shop and see.

I can’t answer your question, but if you really don’t want a new jacket, I bet a taco - to be paid next time I see you or mailed to you upon your request - the zipper situation could be worked out. 

If a new zipper can’t be added to one or the other to match, a zipper adapter could be made (I’ve done both of these things - all three actually). If the sewing is beyond Sharon’s abilities it’s likely beyond mine as well, but there’s a guy on ADV who is a commercial sewer and takes on moto reapirs, alterations and creation on the side. I’m sure he could do it. His prices are reasonable but depend on how much deconstruction is required. 

Can you post some pics? Or maybe you just really do want a new jacket? ;)

In any case, I don’t think you’ll find a truly useful list as, in my experience, even manufacturers change zippers periodically or use different ones for different models, so such a list would be very hard to keep accurate. 

• Like 1

I saw some threads that suggest taking to a tailor.  We have two in town and I plan to visit tomorrow.

Do I want a new jacket, yeah sure.  Do I want to spend $700 on a matching KLIM GoreTex Carlsbad...  I feel the pants can be 4-season but worry I'd need a second, mesh, jacket for summer (So now it's $1000-1100 for two Klims, the mesh are cheaper, $700 and $300-$400), and where I really needed pants, the old ones are worn and wouldn't stay up (I lost 45 lbs since I bought them) and the cuffs won't stay closed either, and they have a hole in them....  both of my jackets remain in good condition.   So, yeah, it would be nice, but I could spend that $ on riding.  

I have an odd assortment of jackets and pants, three jackets and three pants, none of them the same make!!  Two of the pants came with zippers and the mating zipper zipped to it, ready to be sewn into a jacket.  (never did any of that). 

If your pants don't have the mating zipper, two choices I see are: 1) call the pants manufacturer and order the mating zipper , 2) go to a fabric shop (or Amazone) and order a seperable zipper, maybe 8" long, heavy duty, and remove the existing zipper and replace it with this new one and sew the other side into the jacket.  Make sure the direction is right.

Or just ride as is.

• Like 1

I rode many decades without motorcycle specific gear, so I don't know how compatible zippers are across brands.  First cheap jacket (Nitro?) came with a zipper half, no mate. Second jacket, and two pair of pants are all Olympia so zippers match and the jacket included the mating half of the zipper which is now an extra. The cheap jacket zipper does mate perfectly with the Olympia pants zippers.

About 75% of the time I forget to zip the jacket and pants together, 15% of the time I remember but just can't be bothered. The remaining 10% of the time I end up wondering why it's so hard to take my jacket off.

• Haha 3
4 hours ago, Twisties said:

I saw some threads that suggest taking to a tailor.  We have two in town and I plan to visit tomorrow.

Do I want a new jacket, yeah sure.  Do I want to spend $700 on a matching KLIM GoreTex Carlsbad...  I feel the pants can be 4-season but worry I'd need a second, mesh, jacket for summer (So now it's $1000-1100 for two Klims, the mesh are cheaper, $700 and $300-$400), and where I really needed pants, the old ones are worn and wouldn't stay up (I lost 45 lbs since I bought them) and the cuffs won't stay closed either, and they have a hole in them....  both of my jackets remain in good condition.   So, yeah, it would be nice, but I could spend that $ on riding.  

But wait! Are we betting? And, if so, I know I said "taco", but I could really go for a plate of alambre from Gustavo's... Laura's mom just moved to Missoula - next time we visit her we could just pop down to Cortez and either collect or pay up...it's only another 900 miles! (Well, each way...)

• Haha 1

If it's just a matter of keeping your pants up, I suggest suspenders.

If you're doing it for safety reasons, I'd take everything to a reputable tailor, and have it done right...

Or just suck it up and spend the money on the matching gear.

Full disclosure... I'm a cheap bastahd...

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
2 minutes ago, Twisties said:

Josh, you and Laura show up and we'll get you that...  well whatever that is.  :-)  

I'm not saying I don't want to, but just to be clear, I have to bring Laura to receive this benefaction? 

2 minutes ago, szurszewski said:

I'm not saying I don't want to, but just to be clear, I have to bring Laura to receive this benefaction? 

Oh, I see, drop Laura at her mom's and then hightail it.  Right.

• Haha 1
  • Thinking 1

Ordered the bloody jacket today.  IDK, emotional decision I guess. And a helmet (also due).  It's a complete overhaul now.  Gloves, boots, pants, jacket, helmet.  

You’re going to feel like quite the spiffy fellow riding around in all that new stuff! Sharon better get a whole new outfit as well so she doesn’t feel all shabby….

5 hours ago, szurszewski said:

You’re going to feel like quite the spiffy fellow riding around in all that new stuff! Sharon better get a whole new outfit as well so she doesn’t feel all shabby….

She's been looking, but her stuff is newer and she already had a couple of complete suits.  When we were in Denver shopping for the stuff she was bored and complaining I took too long.  She wants a phone, though.  That might be her major fall purchase.