IGNORED

Off Road Riding Skills... book(s) recommendations?

Bugs

I've been riding motorcycles for aprox 26 years, but with the exception of a few short adventures in my jr. high school days, it has all been on the slab. There is a R1200GS Adventure in my near future, so I'm in need of developing some off-road riding skills.

Are there any good books covering off-road riding skills that any of you could recommend?

Does honda have an dirt bike rider school up there ?, they have one down here in Colton.

It looks like a blast, some of the teachers are ex-team honda motocross racers.

Don't have any book suggestions but check this outfit out!

http://www.rawhyde-offroad.com/

My off-road riding had previously been limited to 30#, 1-human powered mountain bikes. While this riding GREATLY helped my balance skills (on and off road), making the jump to off road riding on my 650# ADV was not the brightest thing to do. I learned quickly how limited my skills are.

With that as the background, I really enjoyed the Adventure Rally that Jim Hyde and his crew put on in April. In fact I liked it so much, and found my skills so lacking, that I am signed up to attend Jim's RawHyde Adventure Camp this weekend clap.gif

I hear that he runs a first class operation, and judging by the little rally in April, I think that this will be true. Plus everyone I spoke with at the rally basically said the same thing: "Have you taken one of Jim's classes yet? Man, I can't believe how much I learned, and how much I improved in just a couple of days."

Plus he has loaner bikes available for folks who fly in to his schools.

Tom

If you are really going off road I would suggest getting a 250lb beater dirt bike and riding it for a while. Get muddy, fall down, cross a creek, slip on the rocks, fall down. Charge up the side of a hill and stop before you go down the other side. Go over a log without hitting a tree on the other side. Falling off is part of learning a dirt bike. Picking us a 250 lb bike is easier than a 500lb bike. And much cheaper.

It will probably the be the best fun you ever had. wink.gif

I hadn't thought about a riding school or classes, but it sounds like they will be worth a look. Thanks.

I really like the idea of buying an additional bike to "train" on! I'm really disappointed with myself that I didn't think of that one first. Can't wait to explain that one to the wife. grin.gif

Seriously though, it's hard to argue with the "money-saving" argument... right?

You guys are great! I ask for recommendations for buying a book and I get new ammo for justifying buying another bike. I LOVE THIS SITE! thumbsup.gif

Hey, what are friends for but to help you spend your money. BTW, If the justification approach doesn't work on the second bike, I'm sure someone could recommend a good divorce attorney! grin.gif

Archived