IGNORED

Metzler Roadtec Z8 interact front tire

swgee

Front tire has a few thousand miles but noticed center oScreenshot_20221013-074537_Gallery.thumb.jpg.4993beb37f0db9e6c77542eef09dba15.jpgScreenshot_20221013-074550_Gallery.thumb.jpg.3515cc62db42f59afa28fce9df2f4c12.jpgf tire seems to form a "ridge". I know this is a "dual compound tire" and I have never had this tire before. 

Is this normal? Pictures might help show what I'm deacribing. Running 38 in tire and bike is new to me. So far I've put almost 700 miles on it and seems to handle fine. 

Edited by swgee

Completely normal.  Soft compound on sides wears faster while cornering than the harder center compound does on the straights.  Take it as a sign that you ride a good proportion of curves and are not just wearing out the center on the interstates.

The ridge develops gradually, and I am not aware of it as I roll into a curve, so it does not seem to affect handling or the way I ride. At least, not until the tire wears out and the smooth profile of a new one feels like it just wants to fall over.

My RT came with those tires when new.   I managed to get about a little over 7,000 miles on it and did not notice any wear like that; it probably did, but not enough to cause concern.  I kept pressure at 36 psi.  FWIW.

I just installed a new one on it a few weeks ago, so I will see how this one performs..

36 psi seems low but what psi to run is heavily debated on this and other forums.  My last tires cupped pretty badly. The BMW service manager recommended 44 rear, 42 front. Have 3k on these tires and so far so good.