IGNORED

Smoke

Rob Nowell

After sitting for two weeks or longer, my 2016 RT emits a nasty blue exhaust when I fire it up.  Any cause for concern, ya think?  The smoke does not continue after I take off, and this only happens after the bike has been idle, as I mentioned.

50 minutes ago, Rob Nowell said:

After sitting for two weeks or longer, my 2016 RT emits a nasty blue exhaust when I fire it up.  Any cause for concern, ya think?  The smoke does not continue after I take off, and this only happens after the bike has been idle, as I mentioned.

Afternoon Rob Nowell

Yes, a little cause for concern. It kind of depends on how much oil it it loosing/using, how oily the spark plugs look, how high the compression is getting.

In most cases a little puffing of blue smoke at start up after it sits on the side stand for a while is not a real big deal but it sure isn't desired.

Are you needing to add any oil between oil changes? 

Is your oil level in the crankcase too high? 

It could be as simple as a valve seal seeping after shutdown, or piston ring issue, or ?????

I don't need to add oil, and it is at a good "level" in the window.  I AM DUE for my 36k service, though...

12 hours ago, Rob Nowell said:

I don't need to add oil, and it is at a good "level" in the window.  I AM DUE for my 36k service, though...

Morning Rob

When replacing the spark plugs mark the removed spark plugs for position (or ask the tec to do that for you) the removed spark plug condition at each location might help us determine what is going on with the oil smoke.  

• Like 1