IGNORED

New Oilhead Member - Texas

Samuel

Hey Guys 

New oilhead member from Texas, 61 years young most days.

What a great forum as I’ve been following the oilhead mechanical section for months after purchasing a used 2002 R1150RT/34k that needed major TLC, now has turned into a total restoration project. For the record I currently saddle a 2014 K1600 GTL (Tuna Boat), older brothers have R1100 & R1150R which lead me to purchase the 1150RT. While the K1600 is fantastic I’ve found there’s something special about the older boxer's . 

If this is the wrong slot for new member introduction, please let me know.

Sam

As far as pictures we didn't take one with the panels (Silver) on for some reason. 

1st pic is with all panels stripped off , second is tail raised getting ready for modified clutch replacement, new slave cylinder & spline lube.

I think since May we've touch nearly every component from front to back except the fuel tank components which we will tackle early next year.

We have WAY more invested than it's worth but it's been therapy, with the goal of being able to bring it back to as new as oem possible. 

Sam

Striped.jpeg

Clutch.jpeg

• Like 1

Welcome fellow traveler.  Our paths are similar, but my 1150 needing what you are giving inadvertently led me to a much lower mileage, road ready 2009 1200. I couldn't wait for me to get it operating before Montana winter sets in. 

I’m also rejoining the oilhead fold. 68 yr old here. Previously owned a few BMWs, CL, RT, RT-P, K1200LT. I also own a Triumph Street Scrambler. 

A long distance purchase. Hope I’m not making a mistake.  Have a 2002 R1150R on the way. HaulBikes has it in one of heir hubs but I had abdominal surgery yesterday so I’m hoping for just this once that they take their time. Only 10K on it, and I have all its service records from new, no surprises and everything done at a BMW dealership. It was for sale on consignment at a dealer, who attests all is 100% good to go. Fingers crossed.

On 10/10/2022 at 12:05 PM, Samuel said:

As far as pictures we didn't take one with the panels (Silver) on for some reason. 

1st pic is with all panels stripped off , second is tail raised getting ready for modified clutch replacement, new slave cylinder & spline lube.

I think since May we've touch nearly every component from front to back except the fuel tank components which we will tackle early next year.

We have WAY more invested than it's worth but it's been therapy, with the goal of being able to bring it back to as new as oem possible. 

Sam

Striped.jpeg

Clutch.jpeg

Hey , Sam!!

Post whatever you want wherever you want.  Yeah, I think there is a place for new member intros, but you have questions about oilheads so this is fine.

I have a '99 RT and a '99 R1100S, and a few others.

The main issues with these 2000 era bikes are:

1) The HES wiring deteriorates so it needs to be rewired.  Reto Camenish in Canada does a splendid job with hi-temp wiring and reasonable pricing.

2) The flexible (rubber) brake lines are well past their expiration date and must be replaced.  Clutch line, too, on the R1150.  Well known issue.  AMHIK.  Galfer and Spiegler make kits for these bikes.  It ain't the miles, it's the years of soaking in DOT4.  

3)  THE Splines.  Your bike may be past the fail periodor exempt, not sure.  It's the splines on the trans input shaft that the clutch disc ride on.  They would fail at 30-40K.  Or not.  Do some research on this.

4) Not a huge issue like the first three, but the cam chain tensioner on the left (only) Cylinder would begin to wear out and let the cam chain make a racket at idle.  https://www.beemerboneyard.com/11317656922cuk.html  (If you don't know BBY, they are really good.  AMHIK)

5) I found that synthetic oils weep past the seals in my bikes, engine, trans, and FD.  Had to go back to dinosaur oil.  

6) The clutch slave cylinder on my R1100S failed and killed the clutch plate.  Had to replace the clutch.  Your 1150 has the same system.  Drill a weep hole before this happens to you.  Can be done from the outside WITHOUT REMOVING anything from the bike.

This pic is looking up and into the bike from about the shifter pedal (camera at about a 45° angle),  The dark can in the lower left is the rear of the starter:

image.thumb.png.36fb8c524edb4c307ac8854ef6b7f627.png

7) You might want to upgrade the lightbulbs to LED's.  MUCH more light, lower current and lower heat.  All bulbs are standard sockets, just do not replace the "GEN" bulb in the dash with an LED.

8)  you will want to clean the throttle bodies (TB's), especially the BBS  (big brass screw) passages.  This made a huge difference (better) on both my oil heads.  And then balance the TB's.  https://goo.gl/photos/zvAQ7QXAtYvEgNQQA

9) if your engine is cold natured, slow to warm up, stalls easily, there is a cure.  

Other than these and the usual brake pads, tires, sparkplugs, shocks (the OEM' shocks are gone at 30-40K), seat (OEM is awful), just "drive it like you stole it".