IGNORED

For all of the apologists that always have an explanation for the variation of pump prices.

Bud

I had an early morning appointment at Siteman Cancer Center in South St. Louis County. I didn't fill up with gas in Nashville at $3.99 per gallon at Circle K ( a national gas chain) as it is always less due to lower taxes in Missouri. But even I was amazed at the price spread. Same gas at same chain in St. Louis County was $2.99. One dollar per gallon.

I've been told over and over again that there isn't price gouging in the gas business. I call BS. 33% more per gallon means they are making a large profit in Nashville. Don't give the same old margins are small and they are only making 5 cents per gallon. They aren't losing $1.00 on the gas in St. Louis. Given the less than 50 cents per gallon higher in Illinois, that cuts the difference to > 50 cents per gallon.

Anyone here think they are losing 50 cents per gallon in Missouri? I don't.

YMMV

Had a similar experience last night except with diesel. I needed fuel in the ML320cdi and knew there was a Flying J where I was exiting I-95 (FJ traditionally has cheap fuel). Diesel is normally 4.50-4.85 in different parts of Jax. It was 5.39 cash and more for credit but it did say #2 diesel which is for cars, not sure about big trucks. So I left, went a couple miles further toward the coast (increasingly expensive) to a big local chain station, it was 4.69. So if a semi is paying that to fill 300 gallons it's costing an extra $200.+ a fillup than by going off the interstate a little, just an observation. Problem is all the newish stations around here are set up so a semi can’t get in and out easily if at all. So maybe captive audience at truck stops, is it gouging or capitalism at work? 

On 10/8/2022 at 11:21 AM, roadscholar said:

So I left, went a couple miles further toward the coast (increasingly expensive) to a big local chain station, it was 4.69.

I had to go fill up a car just now - normally I'd go to Costco, but it was too late and they were closed. I had a choice between two stations, both name brands, literally across the intersection from each other. In my little hybrid the one I chose was a little over $7 less than the other option. I can't understand why anyone would go there - brand loyalty or rewards programs maybe, but to spend and extra $7 per tank... (and, again, tiny hybrid tank...)

1 hour ago, szurszewski said:

I had to go fill up a car just now - normally I'd go to Costco, but it was too late and they were closed. I had a choice between two stations, both name brands, literally across the intersection from each other. In my little hybrid the one I chose was a little over $7 less than the other option. I can't understand why anyone would go there - brand loyalty or rewards programs maybe, but to spend and extra $7 per tank... (and, again, tiny hybrid tank...)

In my 9 sq. mile part of town two of the seven stations have closed fairly recently, assuming because they either couldn't or wouldn't compete on price. Both were major national brands. Jax is spread out and divided by several large bodies of water, gas prices can vary up to 20 cents a gallon in different parts of town.