IGNORED

Brake Strobe LED

Dave P

I have a couple of LED related questions, looking for suggestions. 

New to me 2007 R1200RT. I'd like to add a strobing brake light. Not a strobing bulb, but an auxillary multi LED "block" like the old Hyper Lights. I found something on Superbright LEDs for only about $27, has the strobe thing included. BUT, it's about 4 1/2" long and I cant seem to figure out where to mount it on the back of the RT. NO obvious mounting location.  I want to hard wire it, so I don't want to attach it to the rear top case. Ideally somewhere near the license plate.

My other question is about adding some front "conspicuity" lights. I rarely ride at night and don't think I need high dollar aux riding lights, but I was thinking about adding a couple of white LED lights, just to "triangulate"  my frontal lighting so oncoming motorists can see me better. Not strobing / flashing. They do need to be bright enough to be seen from a distance. Super bright has some little 80 Lumen round white lights, pretty cheap, but would 80 Lumens (x2) do anything? I don't know what 80 Lumens would look like in the daytime.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks! Dave

If you get Skenes for the front, they have a few options for caliper mounting.   It is basically replacing one of the caliper mounting bolts with one that is longer, coupled with a 90 degree bracket to hold the LED modules.   A uniquie feature with their LED pods, is that they can be stacked along side each other, but be warned about the wind resistance; it may start pushing the bracket back.   One day they will be weak enough to break.  DAMHIK, but you can if you want to.   

On my R 1200 C, I started off with just white ones.   They are programmed to flicker, not strobe, which is pretty effective.   A few years later, i adde 2 more LED pods of amber color.   So on both side of the forks, I have 1 white and 2 ambers (each side.)  I think I weakened them a few times by bumping them.    :ohboy:   

I added the red ones to the rear, along the license plate, and tapped into the controller for the fronts.    They also flicker.   They have options to program for flashing, then solid, etc.   Certain models include functions to add as turn indicators, as well.  I only have them tapped in for flicker and then light up solid for braking.

In the photo, the white LED is their 1st generation design, which consist of individual LEDs.  The ambers are next gen and have a sealed lense.   I believe one of my white LEDs have broken from a stone, or something.   The others still work fine.  You can see the added wind resistance.  If memory serves me, the bracket may be 1/16' thick.

20200711_162714-2.thumb.jpg.bb8095261dd8949603c1231f33aa5433.jpg

Torz- I like that license frame product but Id have to ditch my new club frame!

The second pic is the red strobe from Super Bright Leds. If that rear fender didn't have that strange square thing (what the heck is that anyway?) I could mount it below the plate. Hmmm.   Dave

4ECF0F3C-3614-47FB-A22F-D551CFA0DB98.jpeg

8DA5502B-CA57-4DA0-BC58-6783C72FA74E.jpeg

If that is your fender, then you can mount a bracket using those holes, which are for UK registration plates, i believe

The bracket can consist of two flat plates, with one wider than the other to form a sort of cross.

Just a thought.