IGNORED

I held Beverly’s hand.

TEWKS

So the story goes like this. I’m twenty eight years into my fire service career with about eight of those years on the ambulance as an EMT. Last night we had a bunch of calls come in all at once as they often do. We got dispatched to the opposite end of town to a nursing home where an elderly woman was feeling ill. She fell a couple days prior and had some skin tears. She was transported to the hospital for that and was returned.

Again with all the calls going on we had no ambulance available in town so we called for mutual aid to assist. In doing that, you spend a little more time with the patient. I was beginning to assess her vitals and getting a baseline on her mental capacity. She was in bed at the time and she began to cough up some brown mucus. Her abdomen was extremely distended also. 

She did have mild symptoms of Alzheimer’s but seemed very aware of her surroundings and answered everything appropriately. She told me “I think I’m going to die” I held her hand and asked her where she grew up. (I guess why I’m even telling this) is I saw a comfort come over her face just by that simple gesture. I actually (almost) choked up for a second which for me was very unusual, and again, is probably why I’m spewing this.

So, after the out of town ambulance arrived, we packaged her up for transport. 

image.thumb.jpeg.6ed1236029d13f2d1d5cf42d0a3360c5.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 7

Pat, compassion and concern can soothe one's soul in any situation. I believe it is something that only comes from within, and you certainly seem like you are not lacking T.Y.

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1

Very touching story Tewks. As a social worker for 50 years, one of my lessons learned is to not minimize the impact of a simple gesture of kindness. It can be touching a hand, listening without judgement, help connecting to resources. We might not realize it at the moment but it can mean the world to someone in crisis.

• Like 6

I have found that simple acts of kindness, such as a touch, holding a hand, holding a door open for someone, or just a simple hello with a smile can be very rewarding. Comforting Beverly by simply holding her hand and taking the time to converse with her was a small act of compassion by you Pat, but it played a large part in her life at that very moment to help her through her time of need.  Good on you.  

• Like 2