IGNORED

Anyone Paired an Edge to their Phone and the Bike?

K100Fran

This may apply to other comms units as well, I don't know enough about all of them. The Edge has two bluetooth channels and I originally paired it to my phone. Everything worked well. Apple Music, SiriusXm app, phone calls, intercom, Hey Cardo, Hey Siri all worked perfectly. Knowing there were two channels, on my last ride I decided to use the menu to connect the bike (2014 RT) to the helmet. The DMC intercom continued to work and I could use the bike's radio, GPS instructions came through, music from my thumbdrive - worked well. That is, until I realized I disconnected the phone when I connected the bike. The manual describes the process for connecting to the second channel with 3 devices a GPS, A TFT or a second phone. I followed the process for TFT, the Cardo actually says Bike Pairing. Every time I attempt to pair the bike on the second channel I end up with the phone disconnected. I am turning off the bluetooth on my phone before attempting to pair with the bike, but that doesn't seem to help. Here's where my question finally comes in - has anyone been successful pairing both? How did you do it?

thanks

v/r

Fran

Edited by K100Fran
spelling
  • K100Fran changed the title to Anyone Paired an Edge to their Phone and the Bike?

I know who "The Edge" is in the world famous U2 band, but I can't even Goggle up "The Edge" as a name for a bluetooth device other than a wall speaker.  I see "Cardo" kind of hidden in your post as well and now see you MAY be referencing the Cardo PACKTALK EDGE system.  Very confusing way of referring to your collection of equipment.  Nope, I have a Sena SC2 headset system connected to my helmet, the RT audio system my NAV VI GPS and my Samsung phone so just hope this helps somebody else who might be able to help you.  That was enough time for me.

You may find it easier to search the world wide web for the manual and download the file.   I have the Black and after riding with ChrisK and Foot, I have decided that I want to pair my Cardo with GPS, Phone, etc.   The Black also has 2 Bluetooth channels and it recommends a specific pairing sequence, hence my need to look it up.  This screen capture was from the manual for the Black.   There is more beyond that, so just a snippet for space sake.

I hope it helps.

224753478_Screenshot2022-09-19183347.jpg.ee028f092a4ed009f13d7116887350f4.jpg

I don’t have a Cardo unit, but with the SENA 20S and 50S and an older Cardo Packtalk unit, the pairing is as follows.

You pair your Phone (iPhone or Android) as phone#1 first. 

Then you pair your bike as a Music player or GPS.

You can’t pair your 2014 R1200RTW as a TFT, because you don’t have a TFT.

If you pair your Cardo unit to a TFT unit, the TFT unit will replace your phone.

The only thing your 2014 RT can do is send music from either the radio or the USB stick and GPS directions to your Cardo Headset.

• Thanks 1

It might help to pair the phone first, then put the phone in airplane mode while you pair the bike.

I have two Cardos, a Packtalk Bold and an Edge.  And two RT’s like yours, a 2017 and a 2019.  The intercoms pair the same way on either bike.  The only thing that might be confusing is that when using them, the notifications you hear as the Cardo boots up will often include “phone disconnected.”  And then a short time later, you will hear “phone connected.”  As best I can tell, this is a function of which thing you start first: the phone, the helmet, or the bike.  In my case, my phone is always on, and I boot my helmet before I start the bike.  So, as the helmet boots, I hear some Cardo status notifications.  Then, when I start the bike, I hear some additional Cardo status notifications.

Finally, if you stop a ride at some point and leave your helmet with the bike, with the Cardo on, as you walk away from the bike with your phone, then the Bluetooth will drop as you move far enough away.  And there may be some delay in re-pairing as you return in range.  I’ve had some amusing moments at gas stations with my gear removed when I got a call, and tried to use my phone manually to answer, but discovered that the call is being routed to my helmet, which is sitting on my bike.

cap

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
21 hours ago, Bernie said:

I don’t have a Cardo unit, but with the SENA 20S and 50S and an older Cardo Packtalk unit, the pairing is as follows.

You pair your Phone (iPhone or Android) as phone#1 first. 

Then you pair your bike as a Music player or GPS.

You can’t pair your 2014 R1200RTW as a TFT, because you don’t have a TFT.

If you pair your Cardo unit to a TFT unit, the TFT unit will replace your phone.

The only thing your 2014 RT can do is send music from either the radio or the USB stick and GPS directions to your Cardo Headset.

Thanks Bernie. The reason I was attempting to connect the second bluetooth channel with TFT was because when you enter pairing mode and select TFT the Cardo actually says "Pairing Bike" so I was trying that. And as you say it replaces the phone. I was able to connect the bike to the second bluetooth channel by using the GPS option. The downside is that Cardo gives GPS a higher priority than music on the phone. So if I want music and GPS instructions I will need to use the RT radio. If I don't want to use the Navigator for directions I have a lot of listening options :18:.

thanks again

v/r

Fran

Fran, you could try to pair the bike as a “second Music source”. Also check if you have “Audio Multitasking” active.

On the SENA units you can have the GPS instructions announced over the music.

Off course almost all Bluetooth Headsets have the Phone designated as first priority, over riding all other audio inputs.

That is the reason I don’t use my iPhone as a music source, but listen to the radio or USB-stick for tunes.

You could always just activate Sirius for your music from the bike.

10 hours ago, Bernie said:

Fran, you could try to pair the bike as a “second Music source”. Also check if you have “Audio Multitasking” active.

On the SENA units you can have the GPS instructions announced over the music.

Off course almost all Bluetooth Headsets have the Phone designated as first priority, over riding all other audio inputs.

That is the reason I don’t use my iPhone as a music source, but listen to the radio or USB-stick for tunes.

You could always just activate Sirius for your music from the bike.

Thanks again Bernie. The manual only gives me three option for the second channel, GPS, TFT, or second phone. Using GPS for the second channel is fine. I can use the RT for music and the Nav provides audible instructions and I can still use the intercom functions. Totally satisfied with the process. I realize my 2014 is no longer on the cutting edge of technology :cool: but I couldn't be more pleased with the sound quality and performance of the Cardo Packtalk Edge (spelled out so no one has to Google what Edge means) and the RT's interface.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I did spend some time working with the Cardo Edge device I got this week. Tried things that google, and Bing provided .. even asked Cardo customer support if it was possible to connect the phone, TFT and the Packtalk Edge.. I tried a number of things and tested, found that the devices were definitely arguing with each other in the approaches I had tried so far. They Cardo person actually said no, it doesn't work. Well, I had a little down time, so decided to read the full manual. The Edge Cardo unit actually does have two BT radios and can pair to two devices, be that a GPS, a separate phone, or .. well as it turs out a bike TFT. (If you have both a GPS and a TFT, might be tricky if not impossible). As of today 10/06/2023 this is the most recent manual: My Document (cardosystems.com), see page 6-7.

Simple directions: After paring the Cardo device to the phone, make sure the cardo deice is on BEFORE turning on the bike. On the cardo deice, hold the phone button down for 2-5 seconds, then turn the wheel back - you will hear "bike paring".. then put the bike in paring mode.. After the parts are paired, your good to go! (It took me a few tries before everything connected).

There are a few limitations, the main one is phone calls need to be started or answered by the "bike".  There might be others, but only got this to work a tonight.

• Like 1