IGNORED

R1200R Front Brake Squeal

Tpoppa

When slowing in traffic today I noticed a subtle squeal coming from my front brake.  It only lasts for a second or 2 when applying the front brake at low speed.  I took a look at the pads and they still have about half the pad left.

What would cause that squeal?  Dirt buildup on the rotors?

There are a few things that can cause the squeal.  Somethings to try:

1. As you mentioned, dust can be a contributing factor. Take the brakes apart and thoroughly clean them. 

2. Put some copper grease on the back of the brake pads, where the caliper piston touches the pad.

3. Put some brake grease (or copper grease) on the slide pin(s).

Of course, be careful not to contaminate the pads with anything. These steps will likely cure the squeak.

• Plus 1 1

In addition to what Geek said, thoroughly clean the brake rotors with brake cleaner.  We've learned this many times from DR.  The dust settles into the rotor, and you can't even see it.  Clean with brake cleaner and go over them (both sides) with a lite scotch pad by hand.  Should take less than 5 minutes per rotor.

• Plus 1 1

A rifle cleaning brush, used in a cordless drill, will clean out the holes in the rotor.  Pretty quick and simple procedure.  Boxflyer showed me that tip.

• Plus 1 1
13 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

When slowing in traffic today I noticed a subtle squeal coming from my front brake.  It only lasts for a second or 2 when applying the front brake at low speed.  I took a look at the pads and they still have about half the pad left.

What would cause that squeal?  Dirt buildup on the rotors?

Morning  Tpoppa

A number of things can cause brake squeal, as mentioned above something on the brake rotors can cause it, or something embedded in the pad itself can cause squeal, or incorrect brake pad material for the brake rotor surface, or even the edges of the brake pads themselves.

If your brake squealing continues after a few moderate to hard stops from speed then you have some options to eliminate it.

Usually removing the brake pads & cleaning those, then cleaning the brake rotors with brake clean is a good start but what u-s-u-a-l-l-y stops the squealing is to use a file, or sanding paper on a block of wood to very lightly chamfer the outer edges of the brake pads. 

If the squealing continues after (lightly) chamfering the brake pad edges then you can try  applying some brake pad anti-squeal compound to the back of the brake pads in the caliper piston contact area. (but typically the brake pad & rotor cleaning coupled with the brake pad edge light chamfering  will stop the brake squeal). 

Also, some aftermarket pads are worse than others when it comes to brake squeal.  

• Plus 1 1

Just make sure when you sand your rotors you got from the center to the edge, NOT round and round.  Center down gives the pads the chance to bed into the lines that are vertical from sanding.  Round and round does not. 

I have done my cars and my bikes for 50 years this way and never an issue.  It is a great service to do when getting new tires on.  I pull all the pads, clean the pucks, clean all slides and the retaining pin, light coat of copper high temp on them and the back of the pads where they make contact with the pucks and call it a day.  I do this on my car also.

Just a bit of service that goes a long way in taking care of your calipers and rotors.

• Plus 1 1