IGNORED

Question about restore

Skywagon

This is just an example.  I see bikes where the engine and chrome parts look brand new.  See the side cases on this 1965 bike.  How do you take an old engine like that (side cases) and make it look new.  I get it on the cylinders but not the side cases.  I understand rechroming, but the side cases aren't chrome.  Are they possibly NOS?

No Reserve: 1965 Suzuki T10

I removed the side covers from my '82 Suzuki and used this stuff to get all the old, cracked, yellowing lacquer off. Then different grades of polishing rouge a polishing wheel on my drill, used some brand of aluminum polish, then clear coat to make them look like new. Same process on the front fork tubes of my R1200C.

Capture.JPG

side2.JPG

• Like 1
1 hour ago, The Rocketman said:

I removed the side covers from my '82 Suzuki and used this stuff to get all the old, cracked, yellowing lacquer off. Then different grades of polishing rouge a polishing wheel on my drill, used some brand of aluminum polish, then clear coat to make them look like new. Same process on the front fork tubes of my R1200C.

Capture.JPG

side2.JPG

That's an old bike, but it still looks like it goes fast.  😁  Reminds me of my old Honda 650, from about the same year, but probably not nearly as sporty or pretty.

That's a great looking bike.  👍  Don't ever sell it!

Too late. Held onto it for almost 36 years. When I got up to 5 bikes, it had to go. Took me a year to get up the nerve to sell it. It now lives happily with a new owner in Harrisonburg, VA. 
Nothing lasts forever……

• Like 3

Skywagon, there IS a process. You can make the aluminum castings shine like chrome with a lot of work. The harder trick is getting them to look NOS. Most of these had a coating ( that first has to be removed) and the shine/reflectivity was of a fresh cast aluminum part. My process has been to get them really smooth and shiny...then put them in with walnut shells for a bit in a vibratory or rotating drum. This softens the shine. Then coat them with quality clearcoat. This coating can be tricky as it will change the shine too.