IGNORED

Rear rotor rubbing final drive boot.

gijon68

Hi, new to the group.   My 99RT had a rear brake caliper lock up and catch fire.  I replaced the rear caliper,  brake rotor, bearings, and boot.  Now my new boot lightly touches the rotor when warmed up.  I can get a sheet of 80 grit sand paper between them when the bike is cold.  Any ideas?  How much distance should be between these parts?

8 hours ago, gijon68 said:

Hi, new to the group.   My 99RT had a rear brake caliper lock up and catch fire.  I replaced the rear caliper,  brake rotor, bearings, and boot.  Now my new boot lightly touches the rotor when warmed up.  I can get a sheet of 80 grit sand paper between them when the bike is cold.  Any ideas?  How much distance should be between these parts?

Morning gijon68

There should be more clearance than you have. 

It is difficult to tell you what is going on with your tight clearances without a good closeup picture & even then it might not tell us what the problem is. 

Are ALL the parts (boot, rotor, bearings, clamps) stock BMW?????????

You could have a part out of specs (especially if not OEM BMW).

How about the rear swing arm bearings & pins, has anyone shimmed those to try to remove PTTR (Pull To The Right)  now or in the past (are the pins & bearings still stock  BMW parts)  If this area has been messed with then it can sometimes give you boot to rotor clearance issues. 

Is the boot FULLY seated & forward on the rear of the swing arm? (the boot isn't cocked is it?)