IGNORED

2004 1150RT vs 2007 1200RT

JamesNC

Hello all, I'm new to the club and wasn't sure where to post this or whether this is a lame thing to ask. It is not my intention to stir up any trouble among the ranks by comparing these two bikes but...

I've been reading as much as possible about these two models and wondering if I am overlooking something important that would make the choice between the two somehow obvious.

If both bikes have been cared for and reasonably maintained, is either one an obviously "better" choice. Many tell me "the more you spend, the more you'll get". I find the 1150 fairing to be a bit more aesthetically pleasing but wonder if I should get the most recent year I can afford.

Thoughts?

Ive owned both. The 1150RT is beautiful design but you can't see them while you are riding.  The hexhead is a better machine overall and that's where I would look.  Obviously condition would dictate and I would look for one that has had the shocks replaced.  Mine were shot at 30000 on both.  

• Plus 1 1
8 hours ago, JamesNC said:

Hello all, I'm new to the club and wasn't sure where to post this or whether this is a lame thing to ask. It is not my intention to stir up any trouble among the ranks by comparing these two bikes but...

I've been reading as much as possible about these two models and wondering if I am overlooking something important that would make the choice between the two somehow obvious.

If both bikes have been cared for and reasonably maintained, is either one an obviously "better" choice. Many tell me "the more you spend, the more you'll get". I find the 1150 fairing to be a bit more aesthetically pleasing but wonder if I should get the most recent year I can afford.

Thoughts?

Morning  JamesNC

The 2007  1200RT  is more advanced than the 2004 1150RT, much better braking system on the 1200RT, transmission gear ratios are better spaced on the 1200RT, fueling system is way more advanced on the 1200RT so the engine operation is smoother, the 1200RT engine has a balance shaft to reduce the higher RPM buzzing, the ABS part of the braking system on the 1200RT is way more advanced than the older servo system on the 1150RT, __

I do agree the 1150RT does look a little nicer when approaching the motorcycle but you can't see that when actually riding it. 

The big problems on the 1200RT is they tend to fail fuel gauges (fuel strips quit working), possible throttle cam cracking (can be expensive if you don't repair it yourself)  the 2007 1200RT had some sticking ABS module motor brush issues, a few drive shaft failure issues, a number of fuel strip failure issues, but overall a pretty good motorcycle. (the 2008 & 2009 were slightly better than the 2005-2007.

The 2004 1150RT main issues were a failing internal pressure sensor inside the ABS pump, some final drive bearing failures, some fueling smoothness issues, but the 2004/2005 1150RT were the best of the 1150 series. 

You need to ride them both as I think you will find the 2007 1200RT rides like a more modern motorcycle (feels lighter than it really is), handling at 90+ mph is better on the 1200RT, brake feel is lightyears ahead on the 1200RT.

Added: if you do your own service & repairs then the 1150 is more conventional (less electronics) so at-home service & repair is usually easier for most riders.  

• Like 1

The 1200 is substantially lighter, more power, better transmission, much better brakes, smoother and with sharper handling too. The fuel strip issue can be mitigated by trip meter use, just like the old days and is minor inconvenience compared to the advantages.

I have ridden both extensively at extra-legal speeds and the 1200 is a much better(safer) machine, with higher capabilities. My .02

• Like 1

I’ve owned both. I agree with DR and 9M7. If I could have a brand new 2005 R1150RT ( the one I owned) or a brand new 2008 or later 1200, I would pick the 1200. I didn’t have problems with my 1150, but I was always spooky about the ABS and or crown bearing issues. It always left me a little nervous when a long way from home

Ive owned 4 BMW bikes and have only been stranded once and that was due to a lot of water in a fill up. Don’t be afraid of the brand

• Like 1
4 hours ago, dirtrider said:

I do agree the 1150RT does look a little nicer when approaching the motorcycle but you can't see that when actually riding it

This is a great point and something I have recognized (then ignored lol) about all of my "good looking" vehicles.

Added: if you do your own service & repairs then the 1150 is more conventional (less electronics) so at-home service & repair is usually easier for most riders.  

My last ride was a 1977 R100/7 that I did a fair amount of maintenance/repair on and honestly anything from 1100 up will probably feel like a spaceship to me :grin:

You need to ride them both as I think you will find the 2007 1200RT rides like a more modern motorcycle (feels lighter than it really is), handling at 90+ mph is better on the 1200RT, brake feel is lightyears ahead on the 1200RT.

Whatever I choose now will be a (re) "starter" bike for my reentry into the two wheel world so indeed test rides and how things feel will push me in one direction or the other. As my wife has so brutally pointed out, "you tend to overthink things then make kinda bad choices so..."

DR: I have already read many of your posts on this forum and very much appreciate your input on my newbie questions. Thank you.

22 hours ago, JamesNC said:

Whatever I choose now will be a (re) "starter" bike for my reentry into the two wheel world

Welcome back to the world motorcycling and to this community.  Glad to have you here. You've received great input on both bikes and I can't add to that and only offer that you have said you have been off of two wheels for a good bit of time and once you buy a your next motorcycle to consider signing up for an advanced rider class.

I did an advanced rider class after a 10 year hiatus as well and appreciated the structured class environment to help knock the rust off.  It also gave me a 10 or 15 percent discount on my insurance.  Like riding a bicycle the most basic skills of using the clutch, shifting and general control skill never really go away, but practicing braking and getting the brain working the situational awareness piece of riding I found helpful when taking the class.  That first year back after such a long lay off had me taking numerous rides in empty parking lots to practice slow speed maneuvering skills and panic braking including doing so while veering to left or right. Even practiced hard acceleration while veering (sometimes the throttle is your best option).   Even with the situational awareness tools taught in the class,  having done my own monotonous braking and acceleration practice routine until it became reflexive again paid dividends when actually put to use to avoid the inevitable idiot in a car that will inexplicably pull out in front of you while staring right at you because they  "never see you".   

Sorry for the tangent and back to making your choice. 

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Paul De said:

Welcome back to the world motorcycling and to this community.  Glad to have you here. You've received great input on both bikes and I can't add to that and only offer that you have said you have been off of two wheels for a good bit of time and once you buy a your next motorcycle to consider signing up for an advanced rider class.

100% agree with your advice. I've located classes and schedules in my area and will be doing this for sure when the time comes :thumbsup:

• Like 2

So... I went to see a 2 owner, garage kept, recently inspected, 1150RT '04 today. ~ 60k miles, a few scuffs in the usual places, tires look good with normal wear but dated 2014 . Started up immediately and idled smoothly.

Owner was apprehensive of test drive without cash in hand so I rode as passenger, ~20 minute ride. Sounded/felt smooth, handled well, felt pretty nimble all things considered, and the clunky shifts made me nostalgic for my 100/7 :rofl:

However, it sure wasn't the spaceship i had envisioned and I wasn't at all impressed with the power/torque riding 2 up. It's acceptable but honestly didn't feel much stronger than my /7 from what I remember. Having spent all of my motorcycling years naked, I will say that the fairing/windscreen was lovely.

I'd like to hear some folks weigh in as to the improvement the 1200RT may offer in this regard. Keep in mind that I will be limited to a first gen 1200 if anything.

12 hours ago, JamesNC said:

So... I went to see a 2 owner, garage kept, recently inspected, 1150RT '04 today. ~ 60k miles, a few scuffs in the usual places, tires look good with normal wear but dated 2014 . Started up immediately and idled smoothly.

Owner was apprehensive of test drive without cash in hand so I rode as passenger, ~20 minute ride. Sounded/felt smooth, handled well, felt pretty nimble all things considered, and the clunky shifts made me nostalgic for my 100/7 :rofl:

However, it sure wasn't the spaceship i had envisioned and I wasn't at all impressed with the power/torque riding 2 up. It's acceptable but honestly didn't feel much stronger than my /7 from what I remember. Having spent all of my motorcycling years naked, I will say that the fairing/windscreen was lovely.

I'd like to hear some folks weigh in as to the improvement the 1200RT may offer in this regard. Keep in mind that I will be limited to a first gen 1200 if anything.

Morning JamesNC

You really need to ride them yourself to do a realistic A to B comparison. The 1200RT is smoother & pulls better all the way through the power band. But neither one is a powerhouse unless the RPM's are raised enough to get fully into the power band.  

They are both touring motorcycles not race bikes so keep that in mind. The 2005-2009 1200RT will get the job done with power to spare when passing a long row of automobiles from 40mph to 100+ mph if the right gears are chosen & you get the engine into it's power band. 

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

I had an '02 1150 for a while. As I gained confidence I began cornering more aggressively than is prudent on The Bitterroot twisties so I traded it for a huge pile of nice ham radio gear 5 or 6 years ago. My ham geek buddy recently died and I bought my disassembled RS back from his estate this year. Before I got it on the road I bought an 09 1200RT-P.

Both are smooth and as strong as I want. Drop a gear, twist the throttle, dial-a-speed, overtake 1, 2, 3, or 4 numbed-minded two-lane drivers with ease. Not having the luxury of doing a side-by-side comparison, I can only say the newer bike is better in theory and on paper. I think I trust it more for handling, braking and overall safety. 

• Like 1

I realize the thread starter is mostly interested in an 1150/1200 comparison but for my money I would have a serious look at an R1100 as well.  No power assisted brakes and super easy to cure the fueling problem.  Also, you can save a few bucks more and still find some really nice R1100 machines out there.  I know I wouldn't ever trade my R1100 for any R1150  I've had one and one is enough.  Just that joke of an ABS system is enough to make me steer clear.  I dropped that R1150 twice because of the brakes and each time I was out $200 just for a rear view mirror believe it or not!  And then there was the stick coil issue which was an intermittent problem which drove me nuts for 10K miles which finally resolved itself with complete coil failure in the middle of nowhere at a remote Oregon / Nevada boarder crossing. The R1100 doesn't use stick coils. Good thing the '04 R1150 has secondary plugs.  One negative about an R1100 might be the transmission.  My 1100 trans is the first iteration that being the M93 which was quickly replaced by the M94 and later the M97 and now it appears the original M93 was likely the best of the three.  I still just cannot believe any reputable manufacturer would ever actually market a motorcycle with a braking system like was on the R1150.  It was, however, super easy to remove the entire ABS system with great results but still I paid the bucks in 2004 for that ill thought out system.  I got really good at removing the plastic on that '04 R1150RT over time.  I sold the bike in '16 and a year later got an email from the buyer as the bike had developed a rather odd running problem which I was unable to help him solve, unfortunately.  I would say to you buyer beware. 

• Like 1
On 9/18/2022 at 9:14 AM, JamesW said:

I would have a serious look at an R1100 as well

My first choice would be a 1200 hex or cam head. I would own an 1100 but would not own an 1150, period. For the reasons JamesW stated.

While the 1100's gearbox is clunky, the ratios match the motor's power so well that the bike just works well. The 1150's overdrive 6th gear is a bad joke, too high to use unless you go 80 mph everywhere......... we had authority bikes break 1150 driveshafts on a regular basis as well.

2 hours ago, 9Mary7 said:

My first choice would be a 1200 hex or cam head. I would own an 1100 but would not own an 1150, period. For the reasons JamesW stated.

While the 1100's gearbox is clunky, the ratios match the motor's power so well that the bike just works well. The 1150's overdrive 6th gear is a bad joke, too high to use unless you go 80 mph everywhere......... we had authority bikes break 1150 driveshafts on a regular basis as well.

I totally forgot to mention that useless 6th gear but you're right it is a very bad joke.  My R1100RSL gear box began shifting very smoothly and amazingly it is quiet as well after I began using Motul 80w90 gear lube with moly.  Made all the difference and is as smooth as my R1150 gearbox ever was.  Took a few thousand miles. I buy the Motul from Amazon.  After 12 fun filled years I'd had enough.   I would try the 1200 rather than the 1150 even though I have no experience with a BMW newer that my '04 R1150RT.