IGNORED

Recommendations for front brake pads, no ABS, 2004 R1150RS

1150RSSSS

Greetings-

I removed my ABS last year, and the enhanced sensitivity at the brake lever revealed some annoying pulsation from the front. I investigated the cause and identified a missing stop disk on one of the front rotors (don't know why or when...previous owner(s)...) which caused the rotor to be out of plane and hence to wear unevenly (there is both runout and variable disk thickness). Have replaced the washer but the damage is done.

As I contemplate whether to have it resurfaced or replaced with a used rotor (advice on this point welcome...), I am curious if anyone has recommendations for brake pads for a non-ABS set up? I recall reading somewhere (though I can't seem to find the thread) that some riders prefer / recommend a less "grabby" pad, though I am not sure it makes a difference.

One more question - can I reuse the hardware on my bike, or should I replace the wave washers (expensive!) or other mounting hardware? I purchased one replacement screw and noticed the threads are coated in some type of loc-tite type of coating. If I reuse the screws, should I coat the threads with anything?

Thanks

Where are you located (USA, UK, EU?)?   

Beemer Boneyard (USA) carries Carbone Lorraine pads, which I have found to be excellent.

New rotors are usually 5 mm, and the minimum thickness (embossed on the carrier) is 4.5 mm.  That leaves very little rotor to have them cut.  

If you look on eBay (USA is my experience) and put the brake rotor part number into the search, you should get an assortment of rotors available.  I have been able to buy rotors that have been very close to new thickness.  In my experience, the rotors have always been in good condition with no warp or uneven wear.  I have ABS (1100RT ABS2) and have just moved the sensor ring from the old rotor to the replacement.  I have reused the rotor mounting bolts.  I use Purple loctite on the bolts.  It is low-strength, and hand tool removable.  Never had a rotor mounting bolt get loose (nearly 200K miles).

5 hours ago, 1150RSSSS said:

recommend a less "grabby" pad

Some use an organic compound on the rear as there is no abs to mute the grab of the standard "HH" compound sintered metallic pads.

My 05 1200ST is a factory non-abs bike and came with "HH" pads on both ends so...... YMMV.

3 minutes ago, 1150RSSSS said:

Thanks for the advice. Have ordered new rotors with some decent thickness left on them and the Carbone Lorraine pads. 

Afternoon 1150RSSSS

The BMW parts book calls for organic pads on the rear. So check your rear caliper pistons for being metal or plastic. If metal then either organic or metallic pads can be used.

If the caliper pistons are plastic then metallic pads are not recommended due to heat transfer into the plastic pistons.  

• Plus 1 1