IGNORED

99 RT brake line replacement shop/person in NH?

MyR1100RT

I need to replace my brake lines. I have the parts, after researching and watching videos on how to do the job, I have determined that it’s not cost effective for a DIY job. 

I am looking for someone/a ship located in NH. Does anyone know of such a place/person that can help me?

I just got off the phone with a local repair shop that told me they can’t do the job because they “don’t have the computer to bleed the ABS system” (which I think is a false statement)

would really like to get her back in the road. Any help would be appreciated. 

thanks!

16 minutes ago, MyR1100RT said:

I need to replace my brake lines. I have the parts, after researching and watching videos on how to do the job, I have determined that it’s not cost effective for a DIY job. 

I am looking for someone/a ship located in NH. Does anyone know of such a place/person that can help me?

I just got off the phone with a local repair shop that told me they can’t do the job because they “don’t have the computer to bleed the ABS system” (which I think is a false statement)

would really like to get her back in the road. Any help would be appreciated. 

thanks!

The computer isn't necessary to bleed the brake system, but the factory manual probably calls for that. If you told us what shop that was it might be helpful so we don't suggest it again. 

You've got MaxBMW there in New Hampshire, which is one of the biggest shops around. You also have Nickwackett Garage over in VT (which might be convenient, depending on where you are in NH). The brake line replacement isn't a bad job if you don't mind messing with brake fluid. The procedure for bleeding the ABS on your bike is easier if you have a friend and the right funnel. 

On a '99 RT it is about as simple as replacing brake lines on a non ABS bike.  It is best if you have the tank at least pulled back to get as the bleeders on the top of ABS unit, but you might get lucky and get an air free brake line at the end.  I did my own and pulled the tank and worked with a mighty vac and then did the old school pump the brake hold it under pressure and bleed it from the calipers and then back to ABS as well.  I used a lot of brake fluid, nearly a quart if memory serves which was to be sure I got a good flush out (helps to have a second person to do the  pump and hold while you bleed the line).  If you have adjusted your own valves, or balanced your throttle bodies, you can tackle this job.    I would recommend that if you take the tank off, you might as well replace the fuel filter while you're at it.

11 hours ago, szurszewski said:

The procedure for bleeding the ABS on your bike is easier if you have a friend and the right funnel. 

I don’t know what I was thinking this morning - no friend or funnel needed for your model/year! 

Unless you hate brake fluid, this job is no problem. 

I replaced the lines on my '99 R1100S with ABS about 4 years ago.  The OEM lines were rotted thru.  

If you know which way to turn a bolt to tighten it, you are hereby QUALIFIED.  It is so simple to do, just remove and replace.  There's only one bolt at each end.  EZPZ.  Get a digital torque wrench if you just want to be precise ($80 at HF).  You don't have a hydraulic clutch so it's a breeze on your bike.  You might not even have to remove any tupperware to get to the fittings.

I got the Speigler lines for $210 back then on Amazon.  Galfer makes them, also.  Tell them your make, model, year, and if you have bar-backs or risers (or just tell then to make the lines going to the handlebars X inches longer.  They fab every order individually because there are so many combinations of colors of the lines and fittings.

Refilling is easy but bleeding can be frustrating.  I learned to bleed as much air out as possible with the lever/pedal as firm as you can get it, then just let it sit overnight.  Small bubbles take a long time to work their way up the lines.  It's not like filling a water bottle.

Go ahead and try it.  It's really one of the easiest jobs on the bike.  Do one line at a time, but do them ALL.  DOT4 eats them all.

I can send you some pics if that would help.  Got a Clymer's??

Edited by Lowndes
spelin
  • Plus 1 1

I just replaced the front brake line on my CB500X with Speigler steel braided.

I fill them from the bottom up thru the bleeder while leaving the banjo master loose 'till I get fluid out of the top of the line. I find that a little bleeding at the top banjo, and pumping the lever lightly vents any air out thru the compensating port in the reservoir.

Took all of five minutes after installing the new line. Brake lever is hard as a rock.  You got this!!!

• Plus 1 1