IGNORED

Oil Filler Swap

Hadabadachada

Hadabadachada

Hello. 
so I’ve read the other threads talking about this but am still kind of confused.

im about 900 miles into a road trip, and I noticed on the oil fill cap there’s oil. So went to open the cap, and it just spins.

From what I read, the filler tube insert should just pop out? 
if so, maybe I should tape it until I can get a replacement part. 
I’d hate to fiddle with it and then can’t get it all back together, and no sign of a new part.

so from what I understand is, the filler pipe should be able to be pulled out, and a new one popped in? No need to remove valve cover to do this?

just needs to be cleaned up? And new washers/bushings put in?
And somewhere I read, maybe some sealant around the new one so it stays?

im going to have to try and source these parts ASAP, out of town. Hopefully a shop in PA or MD has them. Sucks most places are closed today, and if they aren’t, they are from the holiday….

50 minutes ago, Hadabadachada said:

Hello. 
so I’ve read the other threads talking about this but am still kind of confused.

im about 900 miles into a road trip, and I noticed on the oil fill cap there’s oil. So went to open the cap, and it just spins.

From what I read, the filler tube insert should just pop out? 
if so, maybe I should tape it until I can get a replacement part. 
I’d hate to fiddle with it and then can’t get it all back together, and no sign of a new part.

so from what I understand is, the filler pipe should be able to be pulled out, and a new one popped in?

No need to remove valve cover to do this?

just needs to be cleaned up? And new washers/bushings put in?
And somewhere I read, maybe some sealant around the new one so it stays?

im going to have to try and source these parts ASAP, out of town. Hopefully a shop in PA or MD has them. Sucks most places are closed today, and if they aren’t, they are from the holiday….

Morning  Hadabadachada

What year & model BMW are you working with?  You really need to put the motorcycle information in your new threads. 

I see you (were) working on upper & lower spark plugs in another thread so that kind of points to an 1150 twin spark.

If so then you probably need a new oil filler pipe P/N--  11147659578 & a new P/N  11141340901 O ring.

It's usually the O ring that leaks & if your filler pipe & filler cap spins then probably the anti-rotation tab is broken off your filler pipe.   

The filler pipe does kind of pull out/ pry out & the new one presses in using the "O" ring tension to hold it in place. 

If you have a different BMW motorcycle then disregard the above & tell us what you are working on?

If you are on a trip then you might be able to pry the filler neck out then buy a new # 214 "O" ring from an auto parts store & install that (that won't stop the filler tube from spinning but might stop your oil leak)

aaBq292.jpg

Hadabadachada

Sorry, I should put it in my signature or something. 2004 R1100S

ill have to try to stop at an auto part store or something.

looking at it running, it’s just bubbling up the front part and slowly dripping, pretty crummy leak.

2 hours ago, Hadabadachada said:

Sorry, I should put it in my signature or something. 2004 R1100S

ill have to try to stop at an auto part store or something.

looking at it running, it’s just bubbling up the front part and slowly dripping, pretty crummy leak.

Morning  Hadabadachada

Look at the picture above, see that little tab? If your oil fill pipe still has that tab then make sure that the fill pipe is rotated until that tab lines up with the notch in the valve cover then push the fill pipe all the way down until the tab seats in the notch/ 

Disregard if the anti-rotation tab is broken off of your fill pipe. 

R01kh9L.jpg

You might post a picture of your cap as there are/were many aftermarket oil filler caps available to prevent the bands of marauding oil filler cap tamperers from striking .  
the dealership i worked at serviced at our peak,  110 authorities bikes and to protect the very expensive leather boots the motors wear from oil spots, we replaced the cap o-ring every minor service and the base o-ring every major . 
while on the road with the OEM cap that develops an annoying oil weep you can often flip the cap o-ring over to temporarily stop the weep. 

Hadabadachada

Always a great help.

I have one of these after market caps but it’s a quarter turn one, not threaded, like stock. 
I went to Napa and they had that o ring, i managed the filler neck thing out, cleaned all surfaces really good and plugged back in. 

tab was still on there, I guess it just came loose. Must have been done before as the one I took out had some kinda film on it, some kinda sealer. But gasket was smashed flat, time for a new. Just drove through DC to check the swamp, on to PA, holding good so far!

thanks again for the help!

D23E4C17-987E-4C12-8F2A-97547E121C7C.jpeg

E6AFD12A-16E1-4DE5-B215-27BBE47D6BB2.jpeg