IGNORED

2009 R1200rt instrument cluster does not turn on intermittently

Bike and ref

My new to me r1200rt instrument cluster does not turn on intermittently. Always starts but have to turn key off and on one time only. I'm thinking it has something to do with the delay system ( takes a few seconds for cluster to power down when key turned off)  Any one have any ideas or wiring diagram ?   Thanks Al 

1 hour ago, Bike and ref said:

My new to me r1200rt instrument cluster does not turn on intermittently. Always starts but have to turn key off and on one time only. I'm thinking it has something to do with the delay system ( takes a few seconds for cluster to power down when key turned off)  Any one have any ideas or wiring diagram ?   Thanks Al 

Afternoon Bike and ref

That is going to difficult to find without a dealer computer, or a GS-911, & even then it might not show a trapped fault (or faults) that point to the problem. 

I have a wire diagram but it won't show you much other than 12v power & low (ground) as the basic power-up control & power-up initiation is through the ZFE (chassis computer) over the CAN (Controller Area Network). I can't post the wiring diagram as it is BMW copyrighted, & even if I could the BMW factory  wire diagrams are not very useful without the multi links to the other needed pages that have the item descriptions for the numbered components  (BMW purposely made their modern wire diagrams very difficult to share)

Plus, you obviously can't see what information goes back & forth over the CAN.   

One thing that does (sort of) come to mind is possibly something was removed by the previous owner prior to sale  that left an open CAN (CanBus) connector. On non-connected CAN connectors they need a clamping resistor across the open terminals to prevent stray RFI signals from entering the CanBus network. 

I do know of one 1200RT that the dash acted something like yours's is & it took a while for the BMW dealer to find it, (or possibly just guessed at it)  but it took a new dash cluster to ultimately repair it. 

What your telling me I already suspected. The automotive side BMW  wiring diagrams are the same.  I was hoping  this might be something rare but not unusual .  I will have to check the battery  voltage on start up.  Might be enough to start but since everything is a module it may see voltage too low, just a wild guess.. Thanks for a quick reply....oh  now that I think about what you said forgot the fairing  heated gear outlet is just hanging there and not plugged in. I will look into that and get back with you... Al

12 minutes ago, Bike and ref said:

What your telling me I already suspected. The automotive side BMW  wiring diagrams are the same.  I was hoping  this might be something rare but not unusual .  I will have to check the battery  voltage on start up.  Might be enough to start but since everything is a module it may see voltage too low, just a wild guess.. Thanks for a quick reply....oh  now that I think about what you said forgot the fairing  heated gear outlet is just hanging there and not plugged in. I will look into that and get back with you... Al

Afternoon Bike and ref

The fairing accessory socket is not on the CAN (CanBus) as it is just a 12v & low (ground). It is computer (ZFE) controlled so it does time out after a time period after shutdown (delayed shutdown). The ZFE also has internal accessory socket circuit current monitoring so it can shut that circuit down if it goes over-current with too much accessory current draw. 

Things like radio, tire pressure monitoring, alarm (if you have a factory alarm) are also on the CAN. 

The ZFE module (chassis module)  , BMS-K (fueling computer), Dash (instrument cluster), ABS controller (ABS module), some control switches, etc are also on the CAN.  

As far as a low battery, possible but the turning the key to on (then waiting a short time) should boot the IP cluster before you even press the start button.  

• 9 months later...
Bike and ref
On 9/3/2022 at 12:12 PM, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Bike and ref

That is going to difficult to find without a dealer computer, or a GS-911, & even then it might not show a trapped fault (or faults) that point to the problem. 

I have a wire diagram but it won't show you much other than 12v power & low (ground) as the basic power-up control & power-up initiation is through the ZFE (chassis computer) over the CAN (Controller Area Network). I can't post the wiring diagram as it is BMW copyrighted, & even if I could the BMW factory  wire diagrams are not very useful without the multi links to the other needed pages that have the item descriptions for the numbered components  (BMW purposely made their modern wire diagrams very difficult to share)

Plus, you obviously can't see what information goes back & forth over the CAN.   

One thing that does (sort of) come to mind is possibly something was removed by the previous owner prior to sale  that left an open CAN (CanBus) connector. On non-connected CAN connectors they need a clamping resistor across the open terminals to prevent stray RFI signals from entering the CanBus network. 

I do know of one 1200RT that the dash acted something like yours's is & it took a while for the BMW dealer to find it, (or possibly just guessed at it)  but it took a new dash cluster to ultimately repair it. 

Good mourning Dirtrider, I finally had some time to investigate my dash problem. The dash has always trurned on by turning the key twice but it would go on imediately if the key was off less than a minute or two, it's been a year like this with no other issues. I had noticed the after market driving lights always flashed on when first turning the key. disconnected them entirely but no difference. That system uses the headlights to turn on a relay that is battery powered. So that is installed properly. I unplugged the headight connector and the dash works every time correctly. The headlights don't go on till the bike is started so ther must be some stray voltage to the headlights enough to flash the driving light relay.  Doesn't make a lot of sence....any thoughts....thanks  Al

2 hours ago, Bike and ref said:

Good mourning Dirtrider, I finally had some time to investigate my dash problem. The dash has always trurned on by turning the key twice but it would go on imediately if the key was off less than a minute or two, it's been a year like this with no other issues. I had noticed the after market driving lights always flashed on when first turning the key. disconnected them entirely but no difference. That system uses the headlights to turn on a relay that is battery powered. So that is installed properly. I unplugged the headight connector and the dash works every time correctly. The headlights don't go on till the bike is started so ther must be some stray voltage to the headlights enough to flash the driving light relay.  Doesn't make a lot of sence....any thoughts....thanks  Al

Afternoon Al

You might try replacing the relay with a suppressed relay (a relay with a resistor across the pull-in coil), a standard relay pull-in coil acts just like the primary side of an ignition coil, so when it's power source is turned off it can send a voltage spike back up the power wire. 

Most motor companies use resisted relays to prevent that back-voltage-spike into the electronics. 

A relay with an internal clamping resistor usually shows the resistor on the  little terminal diagram on the case. You can also use a relay with a diode but a relay with an internal diode needs to be installed with the correct polarity so a resistor across the pull-in coil is usually a better choice. 

v4cFiox.jpg