IGNORED

12v regulated power supply

Skywagon

My 40 year old 12v regulated power supply took a dump. I need a new one. It has to be good and no surges as I use it to connect some devices that cost $2000. Any real world experience/recommendations appreciated. 

The device I use the most says max draw 1.5Amps.  I think 5 would be preferred, but could live with less.  I don't think radio interference will be an issue.  It is near my pc, router, printer, and eero wifi extender...although it doesn't have to be.

When I did system and circuit board design, the parts that went into our systems were all purchased via distribution channels. But, all of our one-off, prototypes, etc. we usually got from DigiKey. Since they're in Northern MN, we usually got our parts the next day with standard shipping.

I searched for "digikey 12v power supply" and ended up here:

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/filter/ac-dc-desktop-wall-adapters/130

There is an extensive parameterized search function at the top, and I picked some numbers and came up with this for an example (only 1500+ in stock...):

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/cui-inc/SDI65-12-UDC-P5R/5419181

They have links to the manufacturer's data sheet on the product page, which will include the certifications and specifications.

I have no affiliation with DigiKey, just a satisfied, long-term customer.

I decided to go onto EBay and look for a Radio Shack 12v power supply.  I had used them decades ago and they worked well.  I was able (back then) to hook up my Johnson CB radio from my car into my house.  Not sure what happened to that gizmo but I remember it worked well.  Well, I bought one for $25 shipped on Ebay.  It looks brand new.  Plugged it in and it puts out a solid 14.2V  I checked the devices I want to run off of it and their voltage range is 9v-18V at 1.5Amps.  I think this is going to do fine.  I have it hooked up to a VU meter now to watch it closely for a while to insure no big surges.  So far voltage fluctuation is minimal and within tolerances for my needs.