IGNORED

Dumping ESA shock?

BeemerBerg

My 2005 RT has about 125K on the clock. The ESA shocks never did work right. I found a complete "Standard Shock" on ebay for a decent price. Not sure how many miles are on it--perhaps it's a "take off". 

Would I have any issues if I just pulled the old ESA and replaced it with this unit? Just leave the wires dangling?

5 minutes ago, BeemerBerg said:

My 2005 RT has about 125K on the clock. The ESA shocks never did work right. I found a complete "Standard Shock" on ebay for a decent price. Not sure how many miles are on it--perhaps it's a "take off". 

Would I have any issues if I just pulled the old ESA and replaced it with this unit? Just leave the wires dangling?

Evening  BeemerBerg

Good question, you might try to disconnecting your current one to see.

It will store a fault code but that shouldn't be an issue, my big worry would be that it will cause the ESA system to default so it then won't allow front damping changes.  

• 3 weeks later...

I packed my connectors with dielectric grease and sealed them tight.  Zip tied them securely to something or other. You will get some error codes on GS-911, but you will know why and ignore them.  Just says the ESA isn't there or some such.  Those old, 1st Gen ESA weren't very good.  I changed mine out at about 20k miles for aftermarket shocks.  Never looked back.