IGNORED

Bike Salvageable?

Sam_

Long story short, got into a collision with a pickup truck. Without getting into the specifics of the accident (I know I’m not at fault but the police report suggests otherwise), I’m fully expecting to be on my own repairing this. I don’t have full coverage because it was about 5x more than liability for me (21 y/o). Also worth noting that the bike never went down so the damage is isolated to the photos shown. I can’t find any damage to the frame, so I think I’m clear as far as that’s concerned. However, the damage to the engine below the crank case cover is concerning. I currently have the small cover on order so I’ll probably know afterwards whether it’ll still leak, but I’m wondering if the collision may have damaged the internals in any way. The collision wasn’t at a terribly high rate of speed as you can see, but it may have been enough. 

I appreciate any and all suggestions. As for me, I’m completely fine, never sustained any injuries, so don’t worry. My only concern right now is my bike haha

68DF7DA5-3E11-4915-B840-B061F19333BD.jpeg

F16F86AF-9237-477C-9B5A-D26FAA19A3E5.jpeg

27013D4B-9E71-4D0E-9753-6FF4AE123C87.jpeg

Glad you are ok.  Hard to answer without seeing the bike and examining the damage.  That said, I would look at on-line pricing via BMW Motorcycle Fiche.  There are a couple of dealers who have the parts on-line and priced.  BMW panels are quite expensive.  I would also look on ebay and with Beemer Boneyard.  My first instinct would be to value the bike before the accident, then measure against how much it would cost to repair it to your satisfaction.  If the repairs exceed your comfort zone or the value of an unmolested bike, I would consider parting it out.  You can find general pricing of used parts on Ebay. Engine looks ok (after new cover), but again can't tell without seeing it

15 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Glad you are ok.  Hard to answer without seeing the bike and examining the damage.  That said, I would look at on-line pricing via BMW Motorcycle Fiche.  There are a couple of dealers who have the parts on-line and priced.  BMW panels are quite expensive.  I would also look on ebay and with Beemer Boneyard.  My first instinct would be to value the bike before the accident, then measure against how much it would cost to repair it to your satisfaction.  If the repairs exceed your comfort zone or the value of an unmolested bike, I would consider parting it out.  You can find general pricing of used parts on Ebay. Engine looks ok (after new cover), but again can't tell without seeing it

I priced out all that I think needs replacing and it’s definitely worth doing. Just seeing if anyone had a second opinion. Definitely understand the lack of input due to just having pictures though. Thanks for responding. 

Pics aren't super helpful, and I'm not really familiar with what that area should look like, so I'm no specific help. 

That said, I think you're saying the engine was damaged enough that it's leaking. If so, and since you think it will be worth putting back together, I'd do the minimum to get the engine sealed back up and then start it up. If it sounds good through normal RPMs, then see what else you need to do to get it mechanically ready to ride, and how much plastics will cost once you get to that stage. 

If, though, the engine sounds like it needs work, it's probably time to let it go (unless you have space, lots of time, skills and are looking for project).

5 hours ago, Sam_ said:

Long story short, got into a collision with a pickup truck. Without getting into the specifics of the accident (I know I’m not at fault but the police report suggests otherwise), I’m fully expecting to be on my own repairing this. I don’t have full coverage because it was about 5x more than liability for me (21 y/o). Also worth noting that the bike never went down so the damage is isolated to the photos shown. I can’t find any damage to the frame, so I think I’m clear as far as that’s concerned. However, the damage to the engine below the crank case cover is concerning. I currently have the small cover on order so I’ll probably know afterwards whether it’ll still leak, but I’m wondering if the collision may have damaged the internals in any way. The collision wasn’t at a terribly high rate of speed as you can see, but it may have been enough. 

I appreciate any and all suggestions. As for me, I’m completely fine, never sustained any injuries, so don’t worry. My only concern right now is my bike haha

Afternoon Sam

That L/H end cap controls/directs the oil flow to that side so you definitely need to get that replaced before running the engine. Just be careful to not over-seal it & get sealer into the engine oiling system.

I can't tell much from your pictures so you will just have to work through it. 

It also looks like your shift linkage rod is bent & foot spool is missing as well as L/H  foot  peg bent back. 

You are lucky that your bike has rear-set foot pegs or that damage could have been you leg. 

Your center stand partly down, right above where it's attached, the round plate 3 screws with a 4th in the center - that's the rear swing arm pivot point, bottom of frame, if it took a hit alignment could be off.

1 hour ago, gary45 said:

Your center stand partly down, right above where it's attached, the round plate 3 screws with a 4th in the center - that's the rear swing arm pivot point, bottom of frame, if it took a hit alignment could be off.

It seems like only the pivot point to lift the bike got bent. The rest of the stand seems okay. Maybe a bit off but I don't think it would've distorted the frame at all, anyway.

2 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Sam

That L/H end cap controls/directs the oil flow to that side so you definitely need to get that replaced before running the engine. Just be careful to not over-seal it & get sealer into the engine oiling system.

I can't tell much from your pictures so you will just have to work through it. 

It also looks like your shift linkage rod is bent & foot spool is missing as well as L/H  foot  peg bent back. 

You are lucky that your bike has rear-set foot pegs or that damage could have been you leg. 

Thanks for the insight. 

That's pretty much my thoughts. Just looking if anyone can see through the photos any damage that would instantly total it. I have a cover on order and that's all that appears to be leaking oil. Finger's crossed that's it...

Quick update:

Tore into it a little more than I perhaps should have, but whatever. ICBC never concedes fault so I fully expect 50/50 fault, meaning they won't need to see it.

Frame is good from every point that I can see. The engine is pretty chewed up. Ran it briefly - sounded great so no internal damage - it appears it's only leaking from the crank case cover and not the block. It's been chewed up pretty badly (so much that the lower bolt is protruding at some points) but it should reassemble fairly well.

Get some reverse cut drill bits to pop out those sheared off bolts.  Use the drill slowly to walk them backwards, eventually, they should catch and come right out (may wanna love tap a nail set in the center so the bit doesn't walk).  Sand smooth the mounting surface and put your new cover.

Looks like a crack:

image.thumb.png.3fe1ad7bbadc91053449103236e74e82.png

If that is a crack, that's where my concern about leakage would be. If it is a crack, you always throw some JB Weld on it (prolly get others disagreeing on this), but worth a try to keep the bike alive.

Gearshift slightly bent, easy replacement.

Everything else is cosmetic from what I can see.  I'd fix the mechanical parts and continue on my merry way, leave the scraps and bruises as the "art" of the bike;)

On 8/29/2022 at 9:34 AM, Rougarou said:

Get some reverse cut drill bits to pop out those sheared off bolts.  Use the drill slowly to walk them backwards, eventually, they should catch and come right out (may wanna love tap a nail set in the center so the bit doesn't walk).  Sand smooth the mounting surface and put your new cover.

Looks like a crack:

image.thumb.png.3fe1ad7bbadc91053449103236e74e82.png

If that is a crack, that's where my concern about leakage would be. If it is a crack, you always throw some JB Weld on it (prolly get others disagreeing on this), but worth a try to keep the bike alive.

Gearshift slightly bent, easy replacement.

Everything else is cosmetic from what I can see.  I'd fix the mechanical parts and continue on my merry way, leave the scraps and bruises as the "art" of the bike;)

That crack is where the crank case splits. There was been some material taken out but RTV should have no problem sealing that shut.

On 8/29/2022 at 10:46 AM, TSConver said:

Still need the long story of what happened.

I’ll provide a more elaborate explanation of what happened below. I made a 6 page pdf documenting the whole accident with photos if you’d rather me send you that. 

Took a blind corner a little wide (still in my lane obviously) to avoid some debris in the road. As I was rounding the corner, a pickup truck towing a trailer coming towards me was cutting the corner off. Did my best to avoid it but it chewed up the lower left side of my bike. Never went down luckily. Still going through insurance because the lady that hit me says I crossed into her lane, but the collision point, at least in my opinion, points overwhelmingly in my favour, so we’ll see. If I’m found partially at fault, this thing will be back on the road next spring. If not, there’s an awesome Rockster waiting for me with that payout. 

I would not post anymore than above to protect yourself.  Do you ride with a camera?  I always do both on my bike and in my cars.  Hard to dispute a video.

5 hours ago, TSConver said:

I would not post anymore than above to protect yourself.  Do you ride with a camera?  I always do both on my bike and in my cars.  Hard to dispute a video.

No, but there are some pretty damning pictures in my favour. Though, it would at least appear at this point that my claims adjuster has no interest in really helping me. Probably has to do with me having minimum coverage but it’s still frustrating. It’s a “he said, she said” scenario so probably 50/50 fault at the end of the day. 

How important is how it looks to you Sam? Or are you a pragmatist and focused primarily on how well it runs and will it be dependable and safe? I ask because restoring a Beemer cosmetically is usually at the extreme end of sticker shock. The other consideration is if your concerned about selling it or trading it someday rather than riding the hell out of it in its current visual state.

1 hour ago, MichiganBob said:

How important is how it looks to you Sam? Or are you a pragmatist and focused primarily on how well it runs and will it be dependable and safe? I ask because restoring a Beemer cosmetically is usually at the extreme end of sticker shock. The other consideration is if your concerned about selling it or trading it someday rather than riding the hell out of it in its current visual state.

Of virtually no importance. The fairing is repairable so that won't be replaced. The only things being replaced are the ones that physically broke, so the lower black fairing piece, the shifter assembly, foot peg, the crank cover, and potentially the centre stand. I have full confidence I can't repair it, but I may go without one for a while, assuming I am given any fault.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update if anyone is interested:

Bike was mostly reassembled. Purchased all the necessary parts when I noticed that the seal from the block to the oil pan had been knocked loose. Had the bike out last week and it rides fine, but will likely need to remove the engine in order to re-seal it. Does anyone have any experience removing a K1200S engine? And is there any way to remove the oil pan without having to drop the engine altogether?