IGNORED

SOLD - FS - 2002 R1150RS

abush357

$3,000

This was originally a California bike, just came to NY a year ago. Runs and drives great. It is a 20 year old bike that has at times been used as a daily driver and has the nicks, scuffs and scratches to show for it. It photographs very well - but it is not as pristine as it looks in the photos. (see the close up of the saddlebag, and look at the fairing corners just behind the front turn signals in the photos).

Extra's on the bike:
barbacks (move the handle bars closer to the rider)
throttlemeister throttle lock
Ztechnik titanium exhaust
Led brake light (strobes, then flashes, then goes solid)
tall windscreen (adjustable)
ABS
Grip heaters

Tires are both in good shape

Recent maintenance:

flushed brake fluid, replaced OEM brake lines with braided stainless steel lines (Spiegler)
- brakes work great! (this bike has ABS + linked front and rear brakes)
replaced boot on balljoint at telelever
repainted front fender

Everything works with the exception of the left grip heater, which recently quit. I haven't tried to trouble shoot it, I priced the bike accordingly.
The seat is original, both the foam and vinyl covering are on their way out. Absolutely fine for local rides, but you will feel it on longer rides.

My dad bought this bike used in 2005, I've had it since 2007. I've done all maintenance on it since then, and I can send you my records if you want them.

If you are not familiar with BMW R bikes, particularly the 1150, they are great bikes, but a little quirky. Not for everyone.

I've ridden this bike coast to coast and would do it again, but I've currently got too many bikes, can't ride them all.
I'll be happy to answer any other questions.

Front2.jpg

Left1.jpg

LeftFront.jpg

Right2.jpg

RightBroad.jpg

seat.jpg

TachWide.jpg

Back.jpg

Front.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Price reduced to $2,800.

I'd like to sell the bike, but I can't really bring myself to lower the price much below this. It runs and drives great!

I reacquired mine recently. The guy I sold it to took all the body work off to 'make some improvements'... could be a nice bike, but some assembly required.

Recognizing what you have found out on market demand, I figure on keeping it.  It will serve as a backup to my new R1200RT-P and light-duty freight hauler when the lack of luggage on the patrol bike seems limiting but I don't want to use four wheels. 

The key is to find excuses to take it out once in a while. They are really nice bikes. 

yep, shockingly, there doesn't seem to be much demand out there for the 1150rs. It's understandable, but man, it really is a lot of bike for $3,000. A lot of nice bike. I'm sure it's the right bike for someone.

There's another listed nearby for $5,500, wants another $500 for the two side cases. Good luck to that seller!

Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to find some regular task that you can assign to your 1150.  At least once a month ask it to do something it is good at. Extra points for more frequently. 

In my house there is this voice an octave above mine that seems to be saying something like "too many bikes", but I am certain I am not hearing that correctly.  On what planet is three too many?

That's basically the challenge I've accepted for the last 14 years, since I inherited this bike from dad, and moved between states multiple times. For me, with three motorcycles, it's too much. I have no garage to keep them in, and I find riding the two I want to keep to be challenge enough. I've enjoyed the 1150rs, and I've learned a lot by riding it and doing maintenance, but it's time to pass it on to someone else so that they too can enjoy the bike, and hopefully put more miles on it than me.

Also, I'm lying when I say I have three bikes. Those are the three parked out front, I have another, in another state, in a friends garage, that I would like to work on and ride.

Okay, you MIGHT have enough bikes without the 1150.  

Let's stipulate that it will not sell for what it is worth compared to other $4,000 used motorcycles.  What does that leave you (us) with?

In my case, I have room in my motor garage and can come up with excuses to exercise it once in a while during the riding season.

That seemingly does not apply in your case.

As an alternative, find a budding, deserving BMW aficionado to barter/exchange/sell at a good deal that will be appreciated as such.  Someone you will see actually enjoying the bike as it should be.

As I have experienced in the sports car world, oftentimes the market prices reflect the challenges of maintenance and restoration. It is easier to create a pile of cheap and free Hondas that can be stripped to restore one of them than it is to build a similar boneyard of bimmers for a restoration project on one of them. Perhaps the market is reminding us of this lesson. 

• 3 weeks later...