IGNORED

Headlight Adjustments - 2011 BMW r1200rt

Castaway_Peoria

Castaway_Peoria

I have seen some other posts about the headlights for this model being pointed too high but I haven’t found an answer.  I bought a new headlight aim control as the one on my bike is broken.  Oncoming traffic hates me!

Question is, when I finish installing the new control, can I make further adjustments using the screw (circled in the picture)?  Only if needed of course!

help?  F5931A1D-D9CB-4202-9649-8572BA935977.thumb.jpeg.e83af5286d9bf408a46d1174c8622b18.jpegA7DAA868-68F0-4538-871C-92B5F7426B64.thumb.jpeg.719b036bb553f2623652f105650716d6.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Castaway_Peoria said:

I have seen some other posts about the headlights for this model being pointed too high but I haven’t found an answer.  I bought a new headlight aim control as the one on my bike is broken.  Oncoming traffic hates me!

Question is, when I finish installing the new control, can I make further adjustments using the screw (circled in the picture)?  Only if needed of course!

help?  

Morning  Castaway_Peoria

Yes, that is for the vertical adjustment (up & down), the left & right beam angle is on the lower rear R/H side.

• Plus 1 1
Castaway_Peoria

Unfortunately mine was broke and I am replacing it.  The intent is to be able to make headlight adjustments when you have a heavier load such as having a passenger.

58 minutes ago, Doctor T said:

on my 2007 i have knob simular and wondered what is for

Morning  Doctor T

Your 2007 is different, it has a flip lever instead of a remote knob & cable. 

There is a nut with a cross-screw in the center of the white flip lever that you can use to adjust or tune your dip beam height. The flip lever is supposed to be used when you have a passenger or load on the rear of the motorcycle. 

If you are riding by yourself then make sure the lever is in the B position. 

2CHHhZt.jpg

• Plus 1 1

Cheers DT. I dont seen to have the white flip over lever. There is the knob but nothing else. Ive had a good look over the area to see if has been broken off but there is no signs anything has snapped off. Could this be missing as i have dash adjustable preload suspention?

1 hour ago, Doctor T said:

Cheers DT. I dont seen to have the white flip over lever. There is the knob but nothing else. Ive had a good look over the area to see if has been broken off but there is no signs anything has snapped off. Could this be missing as i have dash adjustable preload suspention?

Afternoon Doctor T

I haven't ever found a USA 1200RT headhead  that didn't have that headlight lever. I don't think it is strictly a drive-right thing but I also can't say that I have closely looked at a UK drive-left headlight to see if that has the flip lever.  

It should have nothing to do with the remote suspension preload adjuster unless that motorcycle would somehow mysteriously have an automatic suspension leveling system. If the suspension automatically adjusts ride heights then there would be no need for a headlight trim lever.  

v9vxX5J.jpg

22 minutes ago, Doctor T said:

Think am looking at the wrong screw. What does the one ive highlight do? because ive been turning this on

Afternoon Doctor T

That is the Left/Right beam adjuster. The one in the center of the white flip lever is the Up/Down adjuster.

k0BjKwy.jpg

• Plus 1 1

Checked the white lever this morning. It was in the heavey load postion. Now i know why road signs reflected at me even in the daylight. Thanks again

1 hour ago, Doctor T said:

Checked the white lever this morning. It was in the heavey load postion. Now i know why road signs reflected at me even in the daylight. Thanks again

"Heavy" position lowers the beam to compensate for the load lowering the rear. You'll need to make another adjustment.

The black adjuster takes a 13mm socket, if I recall correctly. Or the tool to remove the oil filler cap also fits, if it came with the bike.

image.png.941681690648a80db116a05e90a300ae.png

Part # 71117691446, about $7 at a dealer.

6 hours ago, Doctor T said:

Afternoon Doctor T

Shine your headlight on a garage door or a flat wall then see where your headlight beam is going. Obviously the up/down is important (you want the horizontal cutoff line to be slightly below the center of the headlight height.

But a mis-set left/right can also bother other drivers as well as reflect back at you. I don't know the proper UK headlight left/right point but probably want the point where the beam goes from straight across to starting to angle up about center of motorcycle.   You don't want any part of that angle up to go into on-coming traffic. 

6bW8akM.jpg

Last night i lined up my other bike in the garage and using masking tape on my toolbox stack. Although this bike is totally differant it gave me a base line.This bike has just passed it ministry test and they adjusted the beam level to pass. Marked the floor to get the right distance. Placed the RT in the same spot turned and twiddled with the adjuster. I must have set it within a few CM. A quick ride in the dark and no one flashed me but i had to adjust it to the right a little. Quite happy with the beam now.

Cheers for the advice D.T and sorry to the OP for jumping onto your thread