IGNORED

Touring Top Case (w/ central locking) and Skene brake light / flasher questions

Jimmy2Time

Hello,

For my 2018 R1200RT, I have the touring top case (46 54 8 405 348) with central locking and I'd like to add some skene lights.  I do not have the factory BMW brake light but my understanding that the top case is wired for the brake light as it has central locking.

I would like to add the Skene P3 or P3 with flashers. 

My questions are about the wiring and wonder if some of you have some experience with this modification.  Their website has a page for BMW installs for P3.  t appears that one needs to make the wiring connections under the seat, with the connections on the brake side of the plug.

If I chose the standard P3, can I use the wires in the top case to connect the Skene lights ?

Do I need to run new wires up to the brake light, especially if I want to add flashers?  If so, how does one remove the top case?   Does this kit come with a connector/plug?

I know I'm probably missing something obvious but I thought I would reach out for assistance.  

Thanks in advance...

I've done the install, twice.  If you look at that plug that goes to your CL plug under the rear seat, there are four wires.  I don't recall the color off hand.  But basically you'll cut that wire.  From the bike side will feed the Skene module.  The output of the Skene module will go back to the cut wire, leading to the trunk.  Also, from that same output, you run the lead to the Skene LED's.

On the trunk, you could go with the factory LED, or aftermarket.  But yes, right behind that trim piece, you'll find the brake light taped up.  2 screws I think to get that trim off.  It's fairly easy to see those on the inside of the trunk.

I have my LED pods next to my license plate.  Plus the OEM LED on the trunk.  You can see the install here:

That is very creative way to use the conspicuity flicker module for the BMW auxililary brake light in the top case also.   I have Skene Designs LED's on the front of my R1200C and just love that flicker.    Thanks for posting that video.

I don't typically have the trunk on myself, unless touring.   But I can say when following the wife with her trunk, that triangle of flickering lights catch your eye.  Once you look straight on, you don't really notice it.  But as soon as you look to the side a bit, you kinda go WTF is up with those lights?  Or is it my head?

So yeah, they do the job well.  Even if it's just my two LED strips most the time.

Thanks for the video and demo.  I guess I have to rethink my install, one with the top case on the bike and one without.

92Merc, Just so I understand, you had the factory lights in you top case and you just connected them to the skene controller to turn them into running lights and when the brake is applied, they flash?  That may be the way to go.

I use Skene lights that mount on either side of my license plate.  I recall that when I ordered them, I was having difficulty choosing which variant of the lights I wanted: with turn signal feature, or not.  I elected the version that uses the extra lights to augment the turn signals.  And what seems obvious now, but was not at the time of the purchase, is that if you choose to have the auxiliary lights act as both brake lights and turn signals, then you can't include the topcase light as a flashing and flickering brake light.

I really wanted the topcase light to flash like the brake lights, and also have the auxiliary lights near the license plate to be both brake and turn signals. 

Cap

On 8/20/2022 at 12:16 PM, Jimmy2Time said:

92Merc, Just so I understand, you had the factory lights in you top case and you just connected them to the skene controller to turn them into running lights and when the brake is applied, they flash?  That may be the way to go.

That is correct.  I have just the brake module.  It runs the trunk OEM lights and the Skene LED's.  I have my module wired in before the top case connector.  That way it modulates the Skene LED's and OEM brake light.

I think the factory brake light in the trunk would have been brake only.  No running light.  Skene module turns that into a running light and brake light.

• Like 1

I do not have the OEM lights on my top case.  Searching for that brake light from BMW, it appears that is around from $140 (ebay, just for the light, no bracket) ,  $218 from Latvia  or  over $300+ from BOB'S BMW (all USD).  That seems a bit steep.

The Skene Photon Blasters (pair) are only $70. Can I wire a pair of Skene Photon Blaster LEDs to to top case?  If so, would I need to tap into the brake and ground wires in my top case or would it better to find a compatible plug and make that work?

You won't need a bracket.  The OEM black piece inside the trim comes out.  The LED slides right in.  I had bought mine here:  But your EBay is a bit cheaper.

https://www.euronetbike.net/bmw-77518520044.html

If you don't mind aftermarket, I'd search for some surface mounted LED strips.  You could easily mount it on top of the black plastic, with a hole drilled to get to the inside wires.  These are high quality, but more expensive.  Something similar to these are what I'm describing.  Only issue is I don't think you'll find the opposite OEM plug, to just plug it straight in.  I'm not sure.

https://www.radiantz.com/Ampd-Flex-strips-p/288.htm

• Like 1

Update, I purchased the Skene P3 with one set of extra lights and installed it last night.  Fun working on your bike in 92 degree heat...  It looks good and I'll post a photo once I clean up the wiring.

I also purchased the Skene Photon Blaster for the front.  One thing I liked about the P3 installation is that Skene has excellent detailed instructions for my year and model BMW.  However, I don't see similar detailed instructions for the Photon Blaster. 

It seems simple, connect the controller to the motorcycle's switched power and ground.  I've read that some people used the headlight's low beam (yellow wire).  If this is the correct switched power wire, my question is, how does one access this wire?

If you've installed the Photon Blaster on a 2016 or later model R1200RTw, I would sure welcome any advice or instructions on how to install.  This motorcycle is relatively new to me and for my old motorcycle (1999 R1100RT), I had a Clymer's manual that showed me how to remove certain panels to access parts of your motorcycle, along with detailed wiring diagrams.  I'll admit that I have yet to take a detailed look to see where and how I can access some wires to power the controller.  I'm just hoping one of you can offer some good advice on this install.

I have the Skenes on my R 1200 C, but on my '19 RT I installed Clearwater Darlas on the front.  SImilar issue for running  the wires.   

I ran the wires through the front of the motor from between the forks, along the right side of the bike, toward the battery and then up towards the under seat area.   The controller went under the rear seat, by the way.

Now, for access you will need to remove the right side panel that goes from bottom of seat that hugs the cylinder head (3 screws), then the panel with BMW logo on it.  Check out Boxflyer on youtube video (9:38) for panel removal tutorials, or watch most of it for entertainment.  Be sure to subscribe. LOL   

I also installed front and rear "dash" cams and had some more harness wires coming from the front.  I ended up tucking a lot of extra wires along the frame, to the rear of the battery storage area.   There is that panel on the side that is narrow at the front (under the seat) and it has somewhat of a cavity area to tuck in wires without taking it off.

Sorry for the lack of panel nomenclature.  I tried best to describe them.   :whistle:   Check out the video to put you at ease on tupperware.   Once you take off the seats, you will see what you can work with.  

IF you need photos, I can take some this weekend and post (or PM) if you like.

• Like 2