IGNORED

Nav V on 2015 r1200rt

Dingo55

Hi All

Can I get some help to understand the functions of a Nav V that is on a bike that I'm about to acquire (2015 R1200RT)

Is it the same as the info on a GS?

Cheers

Mark  

5 hours ago, Dingo55 said:

Hi All

Can I get some help to understand the functions of a Nav V that is on a bike that I'm about to acquire (2015 R1200RT)

Is it the same as the info on a GS?

Cheers

Mark  

Yes it does.  You get the BMW app you can arrange what info you want to see on one page of the GPS like Voltage, Engine Temp, whatever function or reading of the bike you find most important.  Also wonder wheel function is the same you can go through the screens on the GPS by using the wonder wheel.

I have to say I put a Zumo XT on my 17.5 GS and I do miss that screen a lot.  I had speed, TPS, RPM, and Temp arranged in 4 squares  on that BMW app and loved not having to dig through the screens on my bike using the handlebar button.  That said I love the Zumo XT  compared to my Nav VI and while I miss that function a whole lot, I love the Zumo XT.

So yes you will have wonder wheel integration and that BMW app of monitoring a bunch of functions if you have good eyes.  I think you can have 12 windows of info on that screen but I was too old to see the small print so decided what I wanted to see the most and came up with my 4, you can do the same.

I have my original Nav V  that I got with my 15 RT  and it is a champ.  I use it in my car now and love it.  The knock is it is not as bright as a Nav VI and can be washed out by sunlight but buying a sunshade for it really helps.  My experience is any GPS can get washed out depending on where the sun is hitting while you are ridding.  However the Nav VI and Zumo XT are very bright. 

Also the knock on a Nav VI is they become unstable at their own pace.  They will jump screens and such and then Garmin will replace it for you at no cost, so there is that.  I was on my 4th Nav VI when I went to the Zumo XT

Mark,

It's LIN BUS specific information generated by the bike, so the RT didn't get this pass through information until the 2017 model year.

It was not present on my 2016 RT, and is present on my 2017 RT.

Here's a thread that discusses some of the finer points of integration of the My Motorcycle tile under the Apps section on the Nav 5

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?85350-Nav-V-Functionality-on-a-GPS-Preped-2015-RT

Thanks for the help

I think I've understood this correctly that the GS and RT are different in terms of the Nav V

On the RT can the Nav V unit be set to display speed only full screen?

In terms of the riders manual my bike shows as 

R1200RT 0A03 EUR

This then displays 4 options

10/2013 onward

3/2014      " 

8/2014       "

8/2015      "

Is there  something in the VIN or elsewhere that defines the exact date of manufacture?

Thanks again

Cheers

Mark

2 hours ago, Dingo55 said:

I don't believe so.  My bike is a 2015, and I don't have that screen.  But my wife's 2017 RT supports it.  But I've only looked at it once.

It's basically a pre-configured screen with all the vitals.  Temp, Voltage, etc.  I don't even remember if speed was on the screen.  But I'm fairly sure it isn't setup to be changed.

3 hours ago, Dingo55 said:

Thanks for the help

I think I've understood this correctly that the GS and RT are different in terms of the Nav V

In terms of the riders manual my bike shows as 

R1200RT 0A03 EUR

This then displays 4 options

10/2013 onward

3/2014      " 

8/2014       "

8/2015      "

Is there  something in the VIN or elsewhere that defines the exact date of manufacture?

Thanks again

Cheers

Mark

Entering the full 17 character VIN at https://www.mdecoder.com/ can usually tell you the production date and factory option codes.  At least, it works for me, though some get no info.  YRMV

My 15 RT had this screen on the Nav VI I am pretty sure.  So I may of spoke out of turn or my build was different.

Even without that screen you still get wonder wheel functions. 

As far as speed it is on your GPS ever present and it what I travel and set cruise control to.

Sorry if I confused matters for you.

Hi 

Thanks for all your help

Much appreciated

The VIN link provided a production date of 24th March 2015   K52 (1 series)  Engine A74 

Curious as to what the K52 (1 series) Engine A74 tells me

Cheers

Mark

I had a 2015 RT and the "My Motorcycle" app wasn't available on my Nav V. Dropped it into the cradle on a demo GS and it appeared, put it back on my RT and it disappeared again. "My Motorcycle" is the app that gives you 1, 2, 4, or 16 data boxes which can be customized to show various data available through the CANBUS.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2022 at 8:46 PM, WBinDE said:

I had a 2015 RT and the "My Motorcycle" app wasn't available on my Nav V. Dropped it into the cradle on a demo GS and it appeared, put it back on my RT and it disappeared again. "My Motorcycle" is the app that gives you 1, 2, 4, or 16 data boxes which can be customized to show various data available through the CANBUS.

Likewise. I do not get that screen with my Nav V on my 2014.