IGNORED

Hexhead cam chain tensioner

Dave P

Hi Hexheads, I recently acquired an 07 R1200RT, has 35k miles. Since purchasing (about a month ago) I've done an oil change, air filter, spark plugs, and valve adjustment. GS911 showed no fault codes. Have run 2 tanks of Techron enriched premiuim fuel through it. Unreliable fuel gauge and ABS system needs work. :-( 

On cold start I notice noises for about 15-30 seconds. Once warmed up I hear no noises. Made me think of the cam chain tensioners that I'm familiar with on the oilhead series. I wonder if this (low mileage?) 1200RT could need a replacement, or an upgraded tensioner. Do these Hexheads need tensioner upgrades or do they just wear out / get gummed up? Is there a way I can evaluate what I've got currently?

My 1100RT had a cam chain tensioner upgrade before I purchased it (2013) 35k miles since purchasing and I've never heard similar noises on the 1100 to what this 1200 does on cold start. Thanks for your input, sorry for so many new topics over the last few weeks. Dave

13 minutes ago, Dave P said:

Hi Hexheads, I recently acquired an 07 R1200RT, has 35k miles. Since purchasing (about a month ago) I've done an oil change, air filter, spark plugs, and valve adjustment. GS911 showed no fault codes. Have run 2 tanks of Techron enriched premiuim fuel through it. Unreliable fuel gauge and ABS system needs work. :-( 

On cold start I notice noises for about 15-30 seconds. Once warmed up I hear no noises. Made me think of the cam chain tensioners that I'm familiar with on the oilhead series. I wonder if this (low mileage?) 1200RT could need a replacement, or an upgraded tensioner. Do these Hexheads need tensioner upgrades or do they just wear out / get gummed up? Is there a way I can evaluate what I've got currently?

My 1100RT had a cam chain tensioner upgrade before I purchased it (2013) 35k miles since purchasing and I've never heard similar noises on the 1100 to what this 1200 does on cold start. Thanks for your input, sorry for so many new topics over the last few weeks. Dave

AFternoon Dave

The BMW 1200RT (hexhead) L/H chain tensioner IS the 1100/ 1150 upgraded tensioner.  

But that doesn't mean that you don't have a bad one. 

What oil type & viscosity are you using in that engine? 

Can you tell what side the noise is coming from? 

Hi DR- It currently has (fresh) Castrol GTX conventional oil, 20w-50, says on the bottle "exceeds SPI-SN rating". Hard to tell which side the noise is coming from, my gut says right side... Dave

30 minutes ago, Dave P said:

Hi DR- It currently has (fresh) Castrol GTX conventional oil, 20w-50, says on the bottle "exceeds SPI-SN rating". Hard to tell which side the noise is coming from, my gut says right side... Dave

Afternoon Dave

See if you can use a piece of garden hose or mechanics stethoscope to your ear then probe around on both sides to see if you can identify the side that the noise is coming from.

Without knowing the side it is very difficult to give you anything  precise on solving your noise issue.