IGNORED

2005 R1200RT Fuel Strip Issue

Apexdreamer53

Apexdreamer53

Hello everyone, I’m new to the forum here and just picked up 30,000 mile Piedmont Red 2005 R1200RT with an inoperative fuel gauge and warning light on the dash.  The bike came with a service record history and is cosmetically very clean and mechanically sound other than the fuel strip issue.  The bike came with new tires, new brakes front and rear, new battery, and a years worth of current registration.

I’m planning on trying the re-flash or otherwise known as the igniter trick to see if I can get the gauge working again however that doesn’t seem like a long term repair.  Is anyone here familiar with or using the fuel strip emulator kit from HPoskam Engineering? This seems like a very cost effective way of taking care of the gauge / warning light issue.  After the installation of the emulator I would just rely on the trip meter to remind me to refuel.

If anyone is using this emulator I’m just wondering how you like it and if relying on the trip meter has ever been an issue for you.

Thanks for any information that can be sent my way.

8 minutes ago, Apexdreamer53 said:

Hello everyone, I’m new to the forum here and just picked up 30,000 mile Piedmont Red 2005 R1200RT with an inoperative fuel gauge and warning light on the dash.  The bike came with a service record history and is cosmetically very clean and mechanically sound other than the fuel strip issue.  The bike came with new tires, new brakes front and rear, new battery, and a years worth of current registration.

I’m planning on trying the re-flash or otherwise known as the igniter trick to see if I can get the gauge working again however that doesn’t seem like a long term repair.  Is anyone here familiar with or using the fuel strip emulator kit from HPoskam Engineering? This seems like a very cost effective way of taking care of the gauge / warning light issue.  After the installation of the emulator I would just rely on the trip meter to remind me to refuel.

If anyone is using this emulator I’m just wondering how you like it and if relying on the trip meter has ever been an issue for you.

Afternoon  Apexdreamer53

You can try the grill igniter trick but from past experience the problem will return at a later date ( so even if you get it working again you probably shouldn't ever trust it)

I know a few that have installed the  emulator but personally I just make my own (just a few specific resistors & some soldering). 

In any case that will keep that will dash light off, so you then need to use the tip meter (it typically doesn't take long to know your fuel consumption based on distance at speed)

Apexdreamer53

Dirtrider, thank you for the reply.

What type of mileage can be expected from a tank full of fuel on my 05 R1200RT? I understand a lot depends on riding style and terrain traveled. I’m just looking for a low and high number regarding the total miles per tank. Currently I’m filling up far too often and really underestimating my total mileage possible.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated!

38 minutes ago, Apexdreamer53 said:

Dirtrider, thank you for the reply.

What type of mileage can be expected from a tank full of fuel on my 05 R1200RT? I understand a lot depends on riding style and terrain traveled. I’m just looking for a low and high number regarding the total miles per tank. Currently I’m filling up far too often and really underestimating my total mileage possible.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated!

Afternoon Apexdreamer53

Speed & riding style (or the lack there of) can significantly effect the miles per tank. At 60mph my 1200RT will get me well over 300 miles per full tank. At 95+ mph nowhere near that as the fuel milage at those speeds is down in the lower 30 mpg's. 

You should  probably start by figuring about 250 miles per full tank unless you really hoon it then use 200 or 225 miles per tank. 

Just fully fill the tank then ride to 200 miles on one of the trip meters, then fill again & figure your mpg, THAT will educate you on what kind of miles you can get per full fuel tank for your type of riding. 

If you use a trip meter be sure to knock a little off your miles-per-tank expectations if you ever end up riding long distance into a stiff headwind as a stiff headwind can make a notable difference in your miles per tank. 

Apexdreamer53

Dirtrider, thank you once again for the informative reply.  

I ordered the Fuel Strip Emulator kit from HPoskam Engineering in the Netherlands yesterday. Great Customer Service from those folks there as well.  I’ll fill the bike and run 200 miles through it and check my mileage as you recommend.

I appreciate your help…….

On 8/17/2022 at 1:42 PM, Apexdreamer53 said:

I'm using the HPoskam emulator. Scroll down in this recent thread:

Apexdreamer53

I actually had a little time to tinker with the 2005 R1200RT fuel strip issue yesterday. I tried the BBQ lighter trick with excellent results.  When I turned the bike back on it took about 25 seconds to register a half tank of fuel. I rode over and filled the bike up all the way and the full tank registered on the gauge after riding off.

I’ll see how long this fix lasts and report back. I still have the emulator coming so if it stops working I’ll just install the emulator. 

A672AF96-C9F5-4F4C-8D1C-999D9897C397.jpeg

3DB19F27-A8A4-453E-A5EF-CE7455A93F7D.jpeg

Hopefully it lasts a long time but experience of many over time is that it does not last. This gauge system is just not a bright spot in BMW history.

My fingers are crossed as i zapped my fuel strip 7 months and 5000 miles ago. So far it still works. The previous owner only had a new one fitted by BMW 3 months before i purchased. Looking though the service history, he had 6 fitted since 2007 when the bike was new.

39 minutes ago, Doctor T said:

My fingers are crossed as i zapped my fuel strip 7 months and 5000 miles ago. So far it still works. The previous owner only had a new one fitted by BMW 3 months before i purchased. Looking though the service history, he had 6 fitted since 2007 when the bike was new.

Morning  Doctor T

Most I have seen zapped do re-fail. Some re-fail rather quicky & others can take a while.

Not a big deal if the re-fail is showing empty so the low fuel light comes on but can be a problem if the re-fail is showing a continuous full tank as the rider doesn't always realize the failure until the engine quits.  

After a fuel strip zap be sure to always re-set then use one of your trip meters as a main idea on how far you have traveled on a tank of fuel so you don't get fooled if the zapped gauge fails again. 

Apexdreamer53

Thank you for all the replies, it’s really appreciated.

I’m planning on using the trip meter and monitor the gauge activity. It seems like the only real way to go about it. Given the failure history I’m not willing to spend the money required to fix it then have it fail again. I have no issue installing a new fuel strip myself I just don’t have access to the WIFI calibration tool.

1 minute ago, Apexdreamer53 said:

Thank you for all the replies, it’s really appreciated.

I’m planning on using the trip meter and monitor the gauge activity. It seems like the only real way to go about it. Given the failure history I’m not willing to spend the money required to fix it then have it fail again. I have no issue installing a new fuel strip myself I just don’t have access to the WIFI calibration tool.

Afternoon Apexdreamer53

You might be able to calibrate a new fuel strip using a MotoScan, I don't know for sure as I use the GS-911. 

If you have an old Android phone the MotoScan program will work on that (just pay then download the MotoScan program to the phone or tablet). You will need a way to connect the phone to the motorcycle).

You might research the MotoScan to see what it would cost & if it can calibrate the BMW hexhead fuel strip.  

Apexdreamer53
On 8/28/2022 at 12:24 PM, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Apexdreamer53

You might be able to calibrate a new fuel strip using a MotoScan, I don't know for sure as I use the GS-911. 

If you have an old Android phone the MotoScan program will work on that (just pay then download the MotoScan program to the phone or tablet). You will need a way to connect the phone to the motorcycle).

You might research the MotoScan to see what it would cost & if it can calibrate the BMW hexhead fuel strip.  

Dirtrider, thank you for the tip regarding MotoScan.  

My fuel gauge has been working for 1 full week and 375 miles since the re-flash with the BBQ lighter. I kinda laugh every time I turn the key on and see the big yellow diamond disappear and the fuel gauge still operational.  I know one day my bubble will burst as I watch that menacing warning ⚠️ indicator re-appear and see an empty tank register on the gauge again.  My emulator kit has not arrived yet however tracking shows it’s made it to the USA  and is most likely stuck in Customs waiting to be processed.

Ill certainly keep everyone posted on how long my fuel gauge stays operational.

I have 4 Hexheads 2007,08,09. Only ONE still reads gas tank. 

I would say this is a common problem.

Never had a problem on the numerous Oilheads I had.

• 3 months later...

Can someone please explain how to do the zap/flash lighter trick?  Seems like an easy cheap thing to try.  Also, a link for the emulator, Thanks 

There are several Youtube videos that do a great job of explaining this.  I had a 2010 and used the zap method.  It did work, but since the bike was still under the extended warranty, I took it in to the dealer to have it replaced before the end of 2022.  A search 'BWW, RT, fuel strip, zap' will get you what you need

On 8/28/2022 at 5:13 AM, dduelin said:

Hopefully it lasts a long time but experience of many over time is that it does not last. This gauge system is just not a bright spot in BMW history.

It's not a short list. 

• 4 months later...

Hello! I rebuilt it for the swimming version. I replaced everything with DOHC RT parts (tank, AC housing with the float, and ZFE) It works flawlessly, and I got away with disassembled parts cheaper than if I had bought a new fuel tank. Eternal life...