IGNORED

k1200rs maintenance questions

jpvic

i have a 2003 k1200rs.

-my first abs bike. is it ok to flush the brake fluid the same way as a non-abs bike?

-is the drain for the trans fluid that huge 13mm allen under the center? 80w/90 gear oil ok

for trans?

-where are the drains for the forks? do i have to remove the front axle to get to them? also, the "riders manual" shows no fluid levels. how many ml of fluid for each leg?

any good websites on k12 specs and stuff?

thanks.

john

John,

Here's my $0.02:

-my first abs bike. is it ok to flush the brake fluid the same way as a non-abs bike?

The Service Manual gives a detailed sequence for flushing the brakes.

-is the drain for the trans fluid that huge 13mm allen under the center? 80w/90 gear oil ok

for trans?

Actually, its 14mm (at least on mine). The Service Manual calls out 80w/90 but there is allot of talk about synthetic elsewhere.

-where are the drains for the forks? do i have to remove the front axle to get to them? also, the "riders manual" shows no fluid levels. how many ml of fluid for each leg?

Why? There is no periodic service associated with the forks as far as I know. The manual says 0.5 liter of BMW Fork Oil in each fork.

any good websites on k12 specs and stuff?

Try these, they should answer your questions fully.

http://www.gunsmoke.com/motorcycling/k1200rs/index.html

http://piratesk12site.net/Howto.htm

Regards

Derek

John, don't even think of bleeding the brakes like a normal bike. There're some ABS bikes that can be bled like a normal bike, but not the servo system on our BMWs. You have a total of 10 valves to bleed, rather than 3. It sounds intimidating, but it's really very simple once you understand how it's done, and fabricate/buy a couple of special tools (funnel and 7mm spanner); you don't even need a vacuum bleeder. The service manual is very clear IMO, but there're several much more detailed (and with pics) instructions on this and other BMW boards; with them, you just can't go wrong man.

Do a search on this board, K-bikes.com and i-bmw.com, and you'll find more info than you care to read. Good luck.

..you don't even need a vacuum bleeder.

What's worth mentioning is that in the case of bleeding the ABS control circuits, the factory manual specifically states not to use "vacuum extraction".

Archived