IGNORED

Water down the neck

eisenwal

I got some new rain gear and have a question about water dripping off helmet and down my neck in the rain. It seems this is a possible spot where even the best rain gear might let water in. I haven't yet ridden in the rain with this gear. Any suggestions? Am I being overly concerned about something that might not even be an issue?

Eisenwal,  I've ridden in all kinds of rain - torrential, light etc...  Never had a problem as long as the rain gear you have is around your neck.  That's assuming you don't wear a half helmet.  The "overhang" of the bottom of my helmet seems to help prevent water coming in and under. So for me, not an issue.

John

My rain gear has a Velcro neck strap that is padded. You can cinch it down so water doesn’t get in and it’s still comfy. I don’t wear the hood on my bike, but I do wear it for other outdoor activities. 

In really truly wet rain I’ve found that only wearing a hood under the helmet keeps my neck dry (and that includes staying dry in rain so bad it wicks up into the helmet lining so much I can wrong water out of the pads at stops). Next best if you don’t have a thin hood on your rain gear is a good waterproof collar fit snug so it’s well under the lip/edge of your helmet. If your rain jacket doesn’t have one you can add

a Velcro one over the collar of your jacket. 

Sims G3 guide jacket is what I use. Lots of pockets. Guaranteed for life, lots of pockets, d-rings, and many draw string to adjust anyway you want. Expensive but worth it. I’ve ridden hundreds of miles in the rain with it. 

12ABB25F-16CF-4DDD-8AA6-4D49AAB3E86A.jpeg

On 8/17/2022 at 8:06 AM, simskid said:

Eisenwal,  I've ridden in all kinds of rain - torrential, light etc...  Never had a problem as long as the rain gear you have is around your neck.  That's assuming you don't wear a half helmet.  The "overhang" of the bottom of my helmet seems to help prevent water coming in and under. So for me, not an issue.

John

Yep, cinch that collar down fairly snug and you shouldn't get any drizzle down the back.  I've not had a problem with water down the neck, but have had the water in the crotch from the Aerostich---but now use Neverwet every so often to repel the rain.