IGNORED

Surrey Council to trial 20mph speed limit on rural roads

MotoNews

4 hours ago, MotoNews said:
Image: 
Rural road. - British Motorcyclists Federation

Surrey County Council is planning a move to reduce the speed limit on some of the county's rural roads to 20mph to improve safety.

View the full article

20MPH, on RURAL roads?   OMG, I think 15 MPH is more appropriate, don't y'all?   Or maybe even 10 MPH, or 5 MPH?!    /sarc

I can NOT believe someone who lives in a rural area in the UK would propose a 20 MPH road speed.  That's got to be city folks making new law for those "ignorant country hicks".   Controllers just gotta control.🙄 😖

• Like 1

In my neighboring community, West University, the idle lobbied for and got all city streets except multi-lane roads, lowered to 25mph.  They supposedly did it for children. Spend 2 hours driving there and you can count all the kids you see in one hand. PIA to drive through and LEO is very busy. 

City streets I can kind of understand, St. Paul and Minneapolis have gone to that for the most part, though I'm not a fan. But out on rural roads, I don't see the point of 25 mph for miles of unobstructed low traffic, no pedestrian traffic, country roads.

Around the lake where I live up here in Idaho, the speed limit is 25 mph, and pretty justifiable, too.   Some drunk went into the water a couple of months ago, after missing a turn.   However, almost inevitably, I'll be heading out for an appointment or some other reason where time matters, and I'll get behind either some elderly local or a tourist, CRAWLING around the lake at 10 or 15 MPH.  If it's early with no traffic on the road, I'll cross the double-yellow lines and just say to heck with 'em, and pass.  If I'm in the car during mid-day, it really isn't safe to do that most of the way around the lake (and I don't really like to gratuitously break the law, anyhow), so I'm stuck for the duration.  Just a pain in the butt, really.   

Then, of course, I have to cross perhaps the busiest railway in America, where half the time, I'm waiting on a LONG, slow, coal train, and just as it finishes, we get one coming the other way.   The "enhancer" is that the main highway out of Spokane into Idaho (state highway that doesn't have an "I" in front of the number), runs along side it, so after waiting for the train, you get to wait 15 minutes for a break in the traffic, behind other vehicles stacked in front of you, waiting for THEIR break in the traffic, 'cause the trains backed up all of the traffic at the crossings.

The other little thingy:  During the spring thaw, for a month to six weeks, truck traffic along this highway is restricted to 25 MPH ..... 😩😖

I just don't do "25" very well.