IGNORED

RT front engine paint

Dave P

Hello- Ive heard this is a common problem, but the front engine cover on my 07 has s bad case of corroded, flaking black paint. I suppose the best thing to do would be to remove the front cover and powder coat it black (or silver or whatever). I don't, however want to create problems by removing that front cover.  Can I prep the aluminum in place, prime and paint, or is that just a waste of time? Could I remove all of the bolts, do a paint job and then replace the bolts and torque them, not disturbing the front cover? Kinda a "make work" project as my wife would call it. Maybe a good off season task. Just wondering... Dave

39E91590-A8D9-48B6-8C0A-EFDFDA55B925.jpeg

15 hours ago, Dave P said:

Hello- Ive heard this is a common problem, but the front engine cover on my 07 has s bad case of corroded, flaking black paint. I suppose the best thing to do would be to remove the front cover and powder coat it black (or silver or whatever). I don't, however want to create problems by removing that front cover.  Can I prep the aluminum in place, prime and paint, or is that just a waste of time? Could I remove all of the bolts, do a paint job and then replace the bolts and torque them, not disturbing the front cover? Kinda a "make work" project as my wife would call it. Maybe a good off season task. Just wondering... Dave

Morning Dave

I presume that you are referring to the actual alloy front cover not the plastic belt cover. 

If the alloy front cover__ then removal & soda blasting or very/very/very fine well worn glass beads are the best prep, then either powder coating, or a do-it-yourself baked enamel (almost the same a powder coating).  If no hurry then new (good used) bolts from E-Bay will also look better & look factory.  

THEN<>  put a "Fender Extender" on the bottom of the front fender to prevent future damage.  

I'm not exactly sure when BMW quit putting that sound deadener inside the belt cover on the 1200RT but if your motorcycle has one then remove it & throw it out as those things hold moisture & cause corrosion issues. (BMW removed that on the later 1200 bikes for a darn good reason).

So I guess you're suggesting removal of that alloy front cover. I'm ok with that (would happen over the winter) as long as I'm not opening the classic "can of worms". I've got plenty of those already! Maybe a good time to throw a new alternator belt on her.

If I removed the cover I could look for and remove that sound deadener thing. I don't have a bead blaster, but could probably do a pretty good job of prep with steel wool and a Dremel tool. Wire wheel on the bolt heads.

If I left the cover in place for the job, could I remove some (or all) of the bolts, paint it up and then replace the bolts, retorque?

I'll have to give a look into DIY baked enamel. That's a paint, right?  Thanks again. Dave

29 minutes ago, Dave P said:

So I guess you're suggesting removal of that alloy front cover. I'm ok with that (would happen over the winter) as long as I'm not opening the classic "can of worms". I've got plenty of those already! Maybe a good time to throw a new alternator belt on her.

If I removed the cover I could look for and remove that sound deadener thing. I don't have a bead blaster, but could probably do a pretty good job of prep with steel wool and a Dremel tool. Wire wheel on the bolt heads.

If I left the cover in place for the job, could I remove some (or all) of the bolts, paint it up and then replace the bolts, retorque?

I'll have to give a look into DIY baked enamel. That's a paint, right?  Thanks again. Dave

Afternoon Dave

You can prep it in place (A number of BMW owners have done that) but it typically doesn't look professional, or hold up long term).  It depends on how nice you want it to look & for how long. 

The bolts should be replaced  if possible as they have a zinc type coating that is now totally compromised. (look on E-Bay for decent used OEM  bolts).

If you prep it in place then how good the paint sticks will be up to  using a GOOD etching alloy primer (that is the secret to getting paint to stay on smooth alloy). (be careful of over-spray when using etching primer)

Do not remove all the bolts at once as that could compromise the front cover sealing. Maybe buy some good used bolts, then remove your existing bolts one at at time & grind the heads smaller then re-install, then paint (that will allow new bolts to cover the painted area left around the smaller ground  bolt heads).