IGNORED

Removing the Carbon Evap Canister, pro or con?

Scott9999

So, I found this little clip today.  The gentleman is ...ah....um... "highly opinionated" (and talks "Navy talk" too, just like I unfortunately, frequently still do).

Removing the BMW Carbon EVAP Canister

I haven't done this.  It's not in my plans.  I have no objection to doing so, however, and largely agree with his observations.  Any problems with my EVAP system, and it's "gone like Elvis" as soon as I can grab a wrench.

(I considered moving this to the "Full Throttle" thread so no one's feelings are offended, and mods can still do that, if this becomes a contentious subject.  I know this issue has been discussed on bmwst.com over the years, but hey, there's always room for ONE MORE oil or tire discussion, am I right?  🤣🤣).

What say you?

So, I found this little clip today.  The gentleman is ...ah....um... "highly opinionated" (and talks "Navy talk" too, just like I unfortunately, frequently still do).

I haven't done this.  It's not in my plans.  I have no objection to doing so, however, and largely agree with his observations.  Any problems with my EVAP system, and it's "gone like Elvis" as soon as I can grab a wrench.

(I considered moving this to the "Full Throttle" thread so no one's feelings are offended, and mods can still do that, if this becomes a contentious subject.  I know this issue has been discussed on bmwst.com over the years, but hey, there's always room for ONE MORE oil or tire discussion, am I right?  🤣🤣).

What say you?

Afternoon Scott

Legally you can't remove an emission device so that is first & foremost.  But as of this time it isn't strongly enforced in most states.

If the Evap system if left in place & operational it does help prevent moisture entry into the fuel tank (this is the upside) 

On the other side, if the evap canister exit hose (fresh air vent hose) is not cut back to a 45° angle then the evap system will eventually suck road water into the evap system plugging up the tank venting & crushing the fuel sender tube on some BMW 1100/1150 boxer bikes. 

Also, if the Evap can if left operational there is always the chance that the degrading carbon in the Evap canister will get sucked into the fuel tank then either plug up the fuel intake sock, or plug up the fuel filter, or even fine carbon can get through the filter & plug up the fuel injector inlet screens.

The newer (later than the 1100/1150 BMW bikes) don't suffer as much from leaving the evap system functional but I have seen a few 1200 hexhead bikes turn the Evap canister carbon into a real gooey mess plugging up the fuel system.  On the hexhead this is mainly caused from over-filling the fuel tank then parking the motorcycle for a few days, or storing the motorcycle with a too-full fuel tank.    

I removed the evaporator canister a few years ago following Chris Harris' video. It's an easy mod but does require removing the seat and left fairing (and possibly the right) if you want to cap the tube at the left cylinder (I did because I don't like leaving dead tubing and wires that might confuse me later). The evap canister internal contents were solid s a rock when I shook it and I couldn't figure out how to open it to have a look inside out of curiosity. I was aware of the impact of overfilling the fuel tank with the evaporator canister installed so always avoided overfilling it.

After removing the evap canister several years ago,  I've been filling the tank to the top and get an extra gallon which of course adds another 7 lbs up high but it hasn't impacted handling significantly (I'm not an aggressive rider). I usually fill up when the fuel indicator reaches 2 bars and consistently get 42-43 mpg/225 miles per tank  (typically riding 1-3 lane roads, some twisties in the Santa Cruz mountains, very little city riding). Any issues with that practice dirtrider? Thanks as usual.

Miguel