IGNORED

Is Moab a day trip from the UN?

Bud

Looking at day rides out of Gunnison. Want to see as much as possible and places I haven't been to before.

The only thing I know for sure is that one meal will be at the Adobe resturant in Ridgeway.

Great food. thumbsup.gif

Since I will have to ride back to the UN from there, no drinking. frown.gif

Bud, you can get to Moab and back to Gunny in a day, but it will be a fairly long day. I believe that one of the posted routes will be a loop to Moab.

I've done this loop by leaving extremely early in the morning (5ish eek.gif) and then slabbing it back on I70, dropping back down to Gunny via 550.

You would have time for lunch, some picture stops and a run through Arches National Park, which is spectacular.

We were back in the Gunny area around 8p.

Where is Ridgeway? I couldn't find it in Mapsource.

Ridgeway is on 550, south of Montrose and north of Ouray.

Since I don't know where you've been... I can only say...there are better loops than Moab....many great day rides in the area that would be more fun. We just got back from Moab to Ridgeway....141...145....62...all great...You don't have to go all the way to Moab to enjoy them....Have you been to Telluride...Durango...Ouray..Silverton...Wolf Creek Pass.....Pagosa Springs......Rico....Salida..Leadville...Independence Pass???....All great day rides with any number of combos....Good Luck

Whip

Since I don't know where you've been... I can only say...there are better loops than Moab....many great day rides in the area that would be more fun. We just got back from Moab to Ridgeway....141...145....62...all great...You don't have to go all the way to Moab to enjoy them....Have you been to Telluride...Durango...Ouray..Silverton...Wolf Creek Pass.....Pagosa Springs......Rico....Salida..Leadville...Independence Pass???....All great day rides with any number of combos....Good Luck

Whip

I agree. I've done all the loops you mention.

The moab loop is just one of many that will be presented.

I was just answering a question here.

However, I will say, the Moab loop that I know is coming will be very fun, as well.

Really, is there a BAD loop in southwest Colorado? thumbsup.gif

Routes and loops are in the eye of the beholder. It depends on what the rider is looking for and looking to do/accomplish.

We'll have it all for you to choose from.

Spent a week at Ouray 2 years ago. Didn't have a bike but took a lot of 4X4 drives as well as those places you mentioned. Went to Mesa Verde as well as the DSRG train trip. Hadn't been anywere in UT so I was thinking of something a little west.

However, I don't like to get up real early (unless it is to hunt deer) so I guess Moab is a little long for a day trip.

But we spend a whole day in the Black Canyon park and I could do it again. It was outstanding. clap.gifclap.gif

The Million Dollar highway is another worth repeating.

Too many choices, too little time. thumbsup.gif

Whip

I agree. I've done all the loops you mention.

The moab loop is just one of many that will be presented.

I was just answering a question here.

However, I will say, the Moab loop that I know is coming will be very fun, as well.

Really, is there a BAD loop in southwest Colorado? thumbsup.gif

Routes and loops are in the eye of the beholder. It depends on what the rider is looking for and looking to do/accomplish.

We'll have it all for you to choose from.

You are right. There are no bad loops and a lot of great ones. Looking forward to having to make those tough choices from the ones you have planned. wave.gif

My buddies and I are coming to the Un via Moab, which is about a 500 mile ride from home one way. We'll spend one full day in the Moab area touring Canyonlands and Arches; it's gorgeous country and I can never get enough! I've been there on bicycles and motorcycles and <gasp> in a car (hiking). From Moab we're going to tour Mesa Verde NP and end in Durango, probably a 300+ mile day including tootling around in MVNP. From Durango we'll head to Gunnison via Silverton, Ouray and Montrose, possibly a side trip to Telluride if our butts are in favor tongue.gif by that time. That should be another 300+ mile day.

My guess is that Gunnison to Moab in one day will be a very long day, but if you're a "high mileage" kind of rider it will be gorgeous! If you're late returning to the dinner, we'll try to save you a few scraps and maybe a swallow of beer.

Doug

472 round trip including a quick stop in Colorado National Monument and ~70mi on I70...

Now that you put it that way......

It's only a few more miles that riding all the way across KS! grin.gif

Doug,

What day are you going to be in Moab? Right now I'm looking at spending Sunday night there.

Anyone have recommendations for a good campground in the Moab area?

Tim

Archived