IGNORED

Old PC Electronics...Trash but new

Skywagon

Well folks.the wife is on me to get rid of electronics I no longer use.  What are you talking about....It's all good.  I'll use it someday.  Ahh...after looking this morning she might be on to something.  Here are three examples of stuff I just had to have probably 20 years ago.  Some of it is still unopened.  It was all high tech during its day.  I even found an AOL dial up disk.  Guess I can let it go.  Here are 3 pictures.  I will take this to electronics recycle this weekend.  If any of you are still hoarding crap, you are welcome to this stuff before I toss it.  Who doesn't need a whole box of unopened 100mb zip disk?  I planned on backing up my Windows XP machine. :19:  I wonder what I did with that PC....hmm.  For you folks younger than 30, If you want to know what this stuff is, I'll give you a call on my rotary pay phone.

I wonder if I can go through her shoes....nah...don't need a bump on the head.

IMG_3724.jpg

IMG_3723.jpg

IMG_3722.jpg

At my old office, I had a collection of "old" PC stuff. My favorite was a shrink wrapped box of OS/2 Warp. While I really liked that OS (back in the day), I just couldn't bring myself to open the 20 year old box.

• Like 1

I still have an Apple II+ from parts and mounted on a piece of wood.  Soldered it all myself.  Mono monitor, dual floppies, 64k. SOTA early 80's. 

Man those Palm Pilots were the cats meow.  I used my for years and years.  I had it synced with my work calendar.

I cleared out a few boxes of old tech over the winter - obsolete cables, some modem and video cards, several unused boxes of 3.5 in floppies, old power adapters with weird ends.

Kept one modem card and a floppy drive,  'cause you just never know...

Recycled the "free with rebate" Android tablet I never found a use for because it had a crappy screen, poor battery life and was slower than dirt.

Paid again to have that last 19" CRT TV recycled.

Took three weeks to trash our VHS tapes, half a 65 gallon bin a week. 

Two more weeks to get rid of CDs and DVDs that had not been used in fifteen years. 

Charities don't want 'em, thrift shops can't sell 'em. Only "recycler" I could find wanted to charge me dollars per disc/tape plus cross country shipping.

I'm hanging on to a 8mm digital video camera and an old PC with a Firewire port until I get the time to transfer 20 tapes to a hard drive.

There's a 2006 Toshiba laptop sitting in the car, waiting to be recycled at Best Buy. Very slow but worked OK as a remote desktop terminal in the shop until last week, not worth $25 for a another new power supply. There's a lonesome 2012 BluRay/DVD player in the bedroom that should go with it - the Netflix/Amazon/Hulu apps no longer work, and that TV is now being used in the shop as a computer monitor. The two digital point & shoot cameras are too slow and lo-res to use, and even the old Galaxy S2 in the drawer works better, so I should take those along too.

Looking at methods to transfer thousands of Kodachromes to digital - looks like I get to choose expensive and tedious.

There is a shelf in the basement that I need to empty.  2'x2'x6' of Atari 8bit computer stuff. Multiple computers, cassette and floppy drives, serial/SCSI interface and memory board, modems, lots of software. An 80 column business software package with a 4" binder of actual documentation. It's all old enough now to have some real value to somebody, but I don't have the patience for piece-by-piece Ebay sales.

I converted about 150 vinyl albums to digital about twenty years ago, and they have not been played since. Mostly '70s stuff. I still have a decent turntable, and they are in very good shape since I always cleaned them before every use, maybe 3-4 have minor scratches. Pondering, keep or pitch? Walked through Walmart a week ago and spotted a familiar vinyl album cover, Rolling Stones' Hot Rocks, $50. Guess I won't pitch them, yet.

The albums are hot again, my neighbor actually owns a retail record shop in town and does a lot of on-line sales. He buys and sells. Some of your stuff might be worth some money, might not. But for now it is collectable again. Some obscure stuff brings good money, unopened and/or good condition brings the best money. He will often have dollar sales and dump scratched or less popular stuff. I have about 50 of those I've gotten from him, fun to play at gatherings (got to flip it after 4 or 5 songs!).

Be wary of throwing away VHS tapes, they may be worth something

https://www.the-sun.com/money/4678360/star-wars-new-hope-vhs-tape-auction/

I had the Star Wars trilogy given to me for Christmas when it came out.  I never opened it and eventually threw it away along with a bunch of tapes,.....dummy me.  After all, VHS's' was going away and DVDs were coming in,....why keep the damn tapes,......well, I guess I shoulda kept it and sold it