IGNORED

Maintaining Older Bikes?

Twisties

When they are new it's important to maintain warranty, and that means adhering to manufacturer's maintenance schedules.  Later, they may still be getting fairly high usage and fairly regular service.  But what do you do when you own a vintage bike that sees few miles, or an older machine that has been supplanted?  Sharon's '59 R26 was restored/rebuilt in 2011 and has about 150 miles on it.  It's air cooled.  Do you change the engine and gear oils or leave them be?  What about our 15 yo R 1200 RTs?  Between moving, covid and the new to us GS's, we only put about 2k miles on them since their last service in 2019.  We just went ahead and serviced them and fluids, excepting brake fluid, looked like new.  

We are keeping the RTs for the moment, until we see what we think of the GSs in winter riding conditions.  Besides, I think they are worth little with 90 to 100 k miles on them, 15 years of age and plenty of cosmetic issues.  How often should bikes like these be serviced when miles are few and far between?

43 minutes ago, Twisties said:

When they are new it's important to maintain warranty, and that means adhering to manufacturer's maintenance schedules.  Later, they may still be getting fairly high usage and fairly regular service.  But what do you do when you own a vintage bike that sees few miles, or an older machine that has been supplanted?  Sharon's '59 R26 was restored/rebuilt in 2011 and has about 150 miles on it.  It's air cooled.  Do you change the engine and gear oils or leave them be?  What about our 15 yo R 1200 RTs?  Between moving, covid and the new to us GS's, we only put about 2k miles on them since their last service in 2019.  We just went ahead and serviced them and fluids, excepting brake fluid, looked like new.  

We are keeping the RTs for the moment, until we see what we think of the GSs in winter riding conditions.  Besides, I think they are worth little with 90 to 100 k miles on them, 15 years of age and plenty of cosmetic issues.  How often should bikes like these be serviced when miles are few and far between?

Afternoon Jan

If I have only ridden my (low use) motorcycles in warm or hot weather then I pretty well go 2 years on the trans & final drive gear oils. I am pretty religious on changing the engine oil every year but if low milage then I will usually skip the filter change. 

I do bleed the brakes every fall (regardless of mileage) as I live in a cold climate where little-used motorcycles can sit for 4 or 5 months without brake usage  so I want the moisture out of the brake system.

I keep the low milage removed oil as I can use that in my old equipment plus I use it my chain saws & to burn old brush piles.  

• Like 1

I'll concur with D.R.

I have a '74 R90s that I've owned since 1980. Current mileage is 143k. I ride it about 1-2k a year and it runs absolutely perfect.

Yearly maintenance includes :

• oil and filter
  • fork fluid
  • brake fluid flush
  • swingarm bearing grease
  • Drain the float bowls
  • Stabil added to the tank

Bi-annual:

• transmission oil
  • driveshaft oil
  • final drive oil

When I bought the bike I remembered that my dad would have me help him flush the brake fluid in the old station wagons every year due to hygroscopic properties.

Since I did this with the R90s for years, I was curious about the caliper pistons/bores so took them apart a few years ago.

Result: Maintenance pays as the pistons and bores looked literally brand new.

I do the same on as RPG on my R90/6 only I ride it often enough to not have to drain the float bowls of non ethanol fuel treated with Star-tron.