IGNORED

Stalling issue

BMWED

Hello all
I've got the dreaded stall after a long highway run. My understanding is that the stepper motors are going out of sync.
Can I remedy this by removing, cleaning and lubricating them? Or do I have to replace?

32 minutes ago, BMWED said:

Hello all
I've got the dreaded stall after a long highway run. My understanding is that the stepper motors are going out of sync.
Can I remedy this by removing, cleaning and lubricating them? Or do I have to replace?

Morning  BMWED

That does sound like a stepper is getting lost (actual pintle counts don't match the commanded counts).

You can try cleaning & lubricating but even if that helps it would probably be a short term fix.  A stepper typically gets lost due to thread stripping in the drive collar. Cleaning & lubricating can help the pintle follow the commended counts a little easier but it doesn't correct the loose threads.

Just keep in mind that once you remove the stepper pintle you are then REALLY COMMITED to follow through as it can be a REAL PAIN to get the pintle to go back into the stepper body.   

Also, keep in mind that if you remove a stepper, then power the key on with the stepper wires attached it will quickly screw the pintle ALL the way out of the stepper body onto the floor. (at this time you are fully committed) 

If you decide to try then my recommendation is ONLY do one side at a time, get that pintle back in & retracted, then get that side stepper reinstalled before starting on the other side.