IGNORED

"Disc Fitting Kit" Say what?

Twisties

On our poor, tired, old '07 RTs we've been using EBC HH brake pads with excellent results.  Doing my 18k mile service on the 2020 1250 GS this week and I decide I'd better order rear brake pads for the 24k service.  Got about 1.5mm left.  So I go to my usual sources and see BMW, predictably, wants north of $100 for a pair.  Look for EBC and most places don't show any.  One store has FA209/2HH listed and the price is right.  Decide I'd better confirm the fitment at EBC.  Yes, it fits, but EBC says, "Disc Fitting Kit Required."  Nothing comes up on EBC's site for a disc fitting kit. 

What is it, do I really need it, and in the alternative, what other pads are good for this bike at a reasonable price point?

Oh, and I put the post in shiftcam because EBC says the same thing for all of the 1250's, not just the GS.

58 minutes ago, Twisties said:

On our poor, tired, old '07 RTs we've been using EBC HH brake pads with excellent results.  Doing my 18k mile service on the 2020 1250 GS this week and I decide I'd better order rear brake pads for the 24k service.  Got about 1.5mm left.  So I go to my usual sources and see BMW, predictably, wants north of $100 for a pair.  Look for EBC and most places don't show any.  One store has FA209/2HH listed and the price is right.  Decide I'd better confirm the fitment at EBC.  Yes, it fits, but EBC says, "Disc Fitting Kit Required."  Nothing comes up on EBC's site for a disc fitting kit. 

What is it, do I really need it, and in the alternative, what other pads are good for this bike at a reasonable price point?

Afternoon Jan

I did find something that might apply____ 

EBC Double-H Sintered

FA Series HH pads benefit from the highest friction Double-H rating for maximum stopping power, sintered copper alloy like original pads for longer life and perfect braking under all riding conditions; wet, dry, hot or cold. When required, unique stainless steel radiator plates are fitted to reduce heat transfer into bikes hydraulics. Also when required a unique double segment vented design keeps the pads cooler and prevents pad drag and overheat or fade.

It looks like the EBC brake rotors require a fitting kit though__

fitting kit .jpg

I have a related question about the front brakes.  When I look for EBC pads for my 2017 R1200RT, the part number is FA630HH, and the images of the pads look correct for my Brembo front calipers.

However, for my 2019 R1250RT, the EBC part number is FA724HH, and the images don't look right to me.  I wonder if the FA724 is the pad for the original Hayes calipers?  My bike has the retrofitted Brembo front calipers.

Cap

2 hours ago, Cap said:

I have a related question about the front brakes.  When I look for EBC pads for my 2017 R1200RT, the part number is FA630HH, and the images of the pads look correct for my Brembo front calipers.

However, for my 2019 R1250RT, the EBC part number is FA724HH, and the images don't look right to me.  I wonder if the FA724 is the pad for the original Hayes calipers?  My bike has the retrofitted Brembo front calipers.

Cap

Morning Cap

This might help you to identify the brake pads that you have, or the ones that you are looking at (maybe).

https://www.kurveygirl.com/products/fitting-information-bmw-hayes-caliper-recall-2019-2020

Thanks.  Using that site, I confirmed my suspicion that the retrofit calipers for 2019-2020 are the same as used on the earlier R1200RT.  

Cap