IGNORED

So,...on a 500 mile tank of fuel

Rougarou

Why would one need to spend $600 for this, when a $5 Styrofoam cooler with ice would work.

image.png.9a1d7670ef82f47b5cb9eefeede44bc4.pngimage.png.a7607f66ec78310c6b9cfd36ebf46eed.png

Before anyone says, kids, kids, kids, I've traveled in a two door Jeep Wrangler with two daughters, wife and all camping gear on eight to ten hour road trips....nothing stored external of the Jeep.

That fridge seems way overkill,.....but then again, while in Japan, many of the vehicles had fridges/hotboxes in the front (toyota ace's, mitsubishi delica's):dontknow:  Box could be set to keep stuff cold or keep stuff hot.  These were late 80/early90 vehicles.

image.png.b898360bf0aa61bdeef08c5b164f2cf2.pngimage.png.85b31c362cbeb0c53e5acccb5fdd1968.png

On my recent truck trips south, I use one of those soft coolers with a zip top pocket. I freeze and fill it with some water bottles and a few other drinks. A few sandwiches in the top pocket and I’m good.

17 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

On my recent truck trips south, I use one of those soft coolers with a zip top pocket. I freeze and fill it with some water bottles and a few other drinks. A few sandwiches in the top pocket and I’m good.

See,.....frugal,....quite frugal

• Like 1

I don't make too many 500 mile trips, but I make several 300 mile trips a month from home to the coast.  I'm usually by myself.  I carry this.  Bought it in 1981.  A little ice from the freezer, a cool pack or two, 3 waters and one gatorade.  I keep a half case of water in the truck at all times. Comes in handy when it's 110 degrees as satans devils (mosquitos) are on the loose.

Open View | Playmate Mini 4 Qt Cooler::::THERMECOOL™ insulation

9 hours ago, Skywagon said:

I don't make too many 500 mile trips, but I make several 300 mile trips a month from home to the coast.  I'm usually by myself.  I carry this.  Bought it in 1981.  A little ice from the freezer, a cool pack or two, 3 waters and one gatorade.  I keep a half case of water in the truck at all times. Comes in handy when it's 110 degrees as satans devils (mosquitos) are on the loose.

Open View | Playmate Mini 4 Qt Cooler::::THERMECOOL™ insulation

I have one just like that.......when I was an alcohol drinker, it was labeled "G'Pa's Chest 'o Fun"

• Haha 2
szurszewski
14 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Why would one need to spend $600 for this, when a $5 Styrofoam cooler with ice would work.

The same reason people buy a Rubicon when a Geo Tracker would work?

ETA: and don’t forget all the ice money you’ll save…

22 minutes ago, szurszewski said:

The same reason people buy a Rubicon when a Geo Tracker would work?

Ouch, but it's got 4to1 tranny and lockers already so I can get over the mall speed bumps.;)

25 minutes ago, szurszewski said:

and don’t forget all the ice money you’ll save…

And going back to my frugalness (i.e. cheap bastard) :classic_biggrin: Mentioning freezing the water bottles in my above post (not sure if I made that clear) but this eliminates the need to buy ice and you have ice water for a couple of days. ;)

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, TEWKS said:

And going back to my frugalness (i.e. cheap bastard) :classic_biggrin: Mentioning freezing the water bottles in my above post (not sure if I made that clear) but this eliminates the need to buy ice and you have ice water for a couple of days. ;)

Same here. Only drawback being my wife complaining about all the frozen water bottles she must navigate to get her morning waffles. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, mickeym3 said:

Only drawback being my wife complaining about all the frozen water bottles she must navigate 

That’s it? :dontknow: Sounds like an amateur. :rofl:

5 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

That’s it? :dontknow: Sounds like an amateur. :rofl:

Yea, she doesn’t complain much which is probably one of the reasons we’ve been married almost 50 years!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, TEWKS said:

If you are hoteling/moteling, the bottles go back in fridge overnight to refreeze. Best part is that the water is contained, no fishing through melted ice to find the now-soggy sandwich you prepared before leaving.

• Like 1