IGNORED

What are you using to fill your final drive?

Twisties

My trusty 60 mL syringe that was made for dispensing 2-cycle oil was lost in our move from Oregon to Colorado.  With a bit of tubing attached, three shots from that did a great job of filling a final drive with fresh gear oil.  But, it was a bit difficult to use smoothly.  Apparently those things are no longer common.  At least none are available locally.  So long as I have to order something, just wondering, what are folk using to dispense 180 mL of oil into their final drives.  

32 minutes ago, Twisties said:

My trusty 60 mL syringe that was made for dispensing 2-cycle oil was lost in our move from Oregon to Colorado.  With a bit of tubing attached, three shots from that did a great job of filling a final drive with fresh gear oil.  But, it was a bit difficult to use smoothly.  Apparently those things are no longer common.  At least none are available locally.  So long as I have to order something, just wondering, what are folk using to dispense 180 mL of oil into their final drives.  

Afternoon Jan

yVoUGuE.jpg

• Like 2

Love that photo DR.  I have the same exact little funnel, never crossed my mind to add a length of clear hose to it.  With the rear tire still on, it's a cramped area trying to keep that funnel level.

Those syringes are usually available at a farm supply store, feed store.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Michaelr11 said:

Those syringes are usually available at a farm supply store, feed store.

Looks like you nailed it, thanks!

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday

Bought this syringe some years ago.  Looks like it's no longer available, sorry.

Looks like this model is available, and comes in a variety of sizes.  The 200-ml model seems well-suited to filling the final drive with a single plunge.

• 4 months later...

image.png.74c7f09a286ecfcd234c0d52b62dba24.png

Amazon - $6

60ml Large Plastic Syringes with 2Pcs 40 Inch Tube for Refilling Fluids, Feeding Pets, Watering Succulents, Cake Decoration (60 ML/CC)

52 minutes ago, drzep said:

image.png.74c7f09a286ecfcd234c0d52b62dba24.png

Amazon - $6

60ml Large Plastic Syringes with 2Pcs 40 Inch Tube for Refilling Fluids, Feeding Pets, Watering Succulents, Cake Decoration (60 ML/CC)

This is  what I use. 

I saw the title, and thought to myself "OMG, not another OIL thread!?"   🙄

And, naturally, I had a smart-aleck reply I wanted to add, only to find out that this was a very REASONABLE thread about tools.

None-the-less, don't wanna waste a good meme.  

"Here's what I use.  Used gear oil from the aftersteering pump on a Navy ship, seasoned lightly with WD40 to give it just the right custom mix!  Going on 250 miles now, runs smooth, with no problems at all!"

(well, it seemed funny at the time ....) :90:

16 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Crap oil, every SWO knows the forward steering pump has better viscosity 

My point precisely!  That stuff is ugly AND smelly. :4323: 

(Besides, I had a DIFFERENT certification, but I learned .... well, a whole lot of what the SWO's are required to know.  Back in the "good  ol' days", that was required in the Navy, just like that "Every Marine is a rifleman" kind of thingy.)

• 2 months later...

Today was a day to change all fluids.  Some have asked in this thread what do you use.  See below.  Cost about $2 and has all the markings on the side.  Easy to measure out 180ml.

IMG_4201.JPG

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 2
13 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Today was a day to change all fluids.  Some have asked in this thread what do you use.  See below.  Cost about $2 and has all the markings on the side.  Easy to measure out 180ml.

IMG_4201.JPG

I found out this last year that the same container works great to fill the "final drive" (rear diff) on a RAV4 as well. Maybe I'll get fancy and buy a second one so the bike tools and the car tools don't have to mix...

Crap!  And here I thought this was gonna be yet another, FUN OIL THREAD!!!

SOooo disappointed!   

:4907:

(those kinda threads are almost as much fun as the political thingys, and just about as relevant to riding or maintaining a BMW motorcycle! 😏)