IGNORED

Seat Heat - Ambient Temp Limited?

Sailorlite

I say my seat heat does not come on when I test it.  Dealer said that's because we're having warm weather - and seat heat is limited to cool/cold ambient temps.

Now I say I've never heard of that.  Does the seat heat feature not work in hot weather?  (Just testing in preparation for eventual cold weather riding).

• Sailorlite changed the title to Seat Heat - Ambient Temp Limited?
17 minutes ago, Sailorlite said:

I say my seat heat does not come on when I test it.  Dealer said that's because we're having warm weather - and seat heat is limited to cool/cold ambient temps.

Now I say I've never heard of that.  Does the seat heat feature not work in hot weather?  (Just testing in preparation for eventual cold weather riding).

Afternoon   Sailorlite

Was the engine running when you tried it? Engine must be running.  The newer BMW's can shut the seat heating off if the system voltage is low so if it is idling & you have a lot of other accessories (like added lights & heated grips on) that could lower the system voltage enough to defeat the seat heating until you rise it at higher RPM's).

I can't believe BMW would not allow seat heating in warmer weather as a lot of riders use the heated seat when it rains to help dry a wet seat & wet butt.  

Are you sure that it was plugged in?   I know someone that forgot to plug it in on my bike and thought it was odd that it did not work.  :ohboy:

Not heated after riding several miles while definitely plugged in and set to 5 bars (but in warm weather).  Sounds to me like, regardless of ambient temp,  it should work, but doesn't.   Guess I'll have the dealer take another (warranty) look.  Should be an easy fix if they can get the necessary parts..

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Sailorlite said:

Should be an easy fix if they can get the necessary parts..

Speaking of parts, you don't have anyone with similar vintage RT near by to swap seats with for testing purposes?

There is truth to what the dealer says. There is a 2 pager document? The dealer can print of for you detailing the seat heating logic (at least on 2019 and newer RTs).

Ask me how I know.

• Like 1