IGNORED

Low Fuel Light

RPG

2004 RT w/ 115k. Low Fuel light stopped working.

I've checked the bulb (good) but now think it's inside the tank. I believe the float arm activates the switch, so was thinking maybe adding some Techron in hopes of cleaning the contacts?

It's not critical as I just stop when the fuel gauge is at zero bars, but would like it to work as everything else on the bike. I suppose I'll need to get inside the tank but was just hoping for another solution before doing that.

Thanks,

RPG

17 minutes ago, RPG said:

2004 RT w/ 115k. Low Fuel light stopped working.

I've checked the bulb (good) but now think it's inside the tank. I believe the float arm activates the switch, so was thinking maybe adding some Techron in hopes of cleaning the contacts?

It's not critical as I just stop when the fuel gauge is at zero bars, but would like it to work as everything else on the bike. I suppose I'll need to get inside the tank but was just hoping for another solution before doing that.

Thanks,

RPG

Afternoon Rick

When was the last time that it worked? 

Have you been into the fuel tank since it worked? Sometimes a mis-routed hose inside tank can prevent the low fuel light float from traveling all the way down. 

Techron sure won't hurt & might help if your problem is due to varnish. 

Next time you expose the fuel tank pigtail connector just short the white wire to the brown wire (on the main harness side)  then see if the low fuel light comes on, if so then your problem is inside the tank.  

3 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Rick

When was the last time that it worked? 

Have you been into the fuel tank since it worked? Sometimes a mis-routed hose inside tank can prevent the low fuel light float from traveling all the way down. 

Techron sure won't hurt & might help if your problem is due to varnish. 

Next time you expose the fuel tank pigtail connector just short the white wire to the brown wire (on the main harness side)  then see if the low fuel light comes on, if so then your problem is inside the tank.  

Afternoon D.R.,

When was the last time that it worked? The light was working just prior to leaving the the MOA National (June 12th)

Have you been into the fuel tank since it worked? Sometimes a mis-routed hose inside tank can prevent the low fuel light float from traveling all the way down. I haven't been inside the tank since two winters ago when I replaced the fuel pump/hoses/filter

Next time you expose the fuel tank pigtail connector just short the white wire to the brown wire (on the main harness side)  then see if the low fuel light comes on, if so then your problem is inside the tank.  That's a great idea. I can do that test before I actually have to go inside the tank.

Thanks very much!

• 9 months later...

I finally decided to pull the panels and figure this out.

Per D.R.'s excellent advice, I shorted out the white to brown wire on the tank connector and the low fuel light illuminated. Which means, the problem is in the tank.

Turns out, it was pretty simple. One of the fuel filter clamps had moved slightly AND I used a clamp with extra length screws, which then prevented the low fuel sensor from dropping all the way.

I installed new clamps with shorter screws and oriented them in such a way that even if they rotate a little, the low fuel arm won't be restricted in it's movement.

If you look close enough at the attachment, you'll see a small scrape on the fuel level arm where the screw was stopping it.

Thank You D.R. once again.

RPG

Fuel filter clamp restricting low fuel arm.jpg