IGNORED

1200RT idle issues

Dave P

Hello Hexhead folks!    I have a new to me 2007 R1200RT with 36k miles. It has a new battery this year. I just changed the oil last night with 20w50 conventional oil.  No metal on the drain plug.

At a cold start, it starts fine and idles pretty well, except I hear random taps / pops / noises. Noises are not at any regular intervals. From a couple of 1200RT friends I’ve mentioned this to, they say that the hexhead engine just does this. After about a minute or less, the tap sounds generally disappear, but the idle seems inconsistent, not smooth. Kinda bounces around, bike is shaky. Engine still hasn’t been running very long so I guess it’s still kinda cold.

My morning commute is about 7 miles, rode it in today. Idles seems pretty good after 7 miles. I wouldn’t call it great, it still is a little bit lumpy, but it’s ok. Looks like it idles at about 1050- 1100 rpm. Seems maybe a tad low to me. Bike at speed seems to run well, has good power.

Was planning to evaluate the easy stuff first- air filter, maybe pull the spark plugs, see what they look like. Run a nice fresh tank of premium ($$) gas through her, maybe with some Techron or Berrymans in the gas.

I was an airhead RT owner for 19 years and an oilhead RT owner for the next 9. This is my first experience with a Hexhead. Don’t (yet) know a lot about how they tick. I’ve read that the O2 sensors can be troublesome, Coil sticks having issues. I have a friend with a GS911, we were going to hook it up, see if there are trouble codes in there. I’d just feel better if it idled a little smoother, the noises at cold start concern me. maybe one of you hexheads could suggest a plan of attack.  THANK YOU!  Dave

2 hours ago, Dave P said:

Hello Hexhead folks!    I have a new to me 2007 R1200RT with 36k miles. It has a new battery this year. I just changed the oil last night with 20w50 conventional oil.  No metal on the drain plug.

At a cold start, it starts fine and idles pretty well, except I hear random taps / pops / noises. Noises are not at any regular intervals. From a couple of 1200RT friends I’ve mentioned this to, they say that the hexhead engine just does this. After about a minute or less, the tap sounds generally disappear, but the idle seems inconsistent, not smooth. Kinda bounces around, bike is shaky. Engine still hasn’t been running very long so I guess it’s still kinda cold.

My morning commute is about 7 miles, rode it in today. Idles seems pretty good after 7 miles. I wouldn’t call it great, it still is a little bit lumpy, but it’s ok. Looks like it idles at about 1050- 1100 rpm. Seems maybe a tad low to me. Bike at speed seems to run well, has good power.

Was planning to evaluate the easy stuff first- air filter, maybe pull the spark plugs, see what they look like. Run a nice fresh tank of premium ($$) gas through her, maybe with some Techron or Berrymans in the gas.

I was an airhead RT owner for 19 years and an oilhead RT owner for the next 9. This is my first experience with a Hexhead. Don’t (yet) know a lot about how they tick. I’ve read that the O2 sensors can be troublesome, Coil sticks having issues. I have a friend with a GS911, we were going to hook it up, see if there are trouble codes in there. I’d just feel better if it idled a little smoother, the noises at cold start concern me. maybe one of you hexheads could suggest a plan of attack.  THANK YOU!  Dave

Afternoon Dave

On the noise question, THAT is very difficult to advise on without hearing and/or hearing & feeling it. You need to find a local hexhead owner & have them listen to it & compare to theirs.

The idle speed is computer controlled so there isn't much you can do with that unless you can find a reason that it isn't idling correctly.

If the battery was dead, replaced, or disconnected then you probably should do a new TPS re-learn.

On the cold start & cold noises it could be a slightly oil fouled lower spark plug, or a lower stick coil causing you an issue, or a fuel injector not spraying cleanly due varnish build up. 

Maybe try putting some Techron concentrate in the fuel tank then riding a couple of tanks or Techron laced fuel through it (that might clear up your cold start & cold idle issues)  

DR- thank you for your reply. The PO did replace the battery recently so that TPS relearn is probably a good idea. How to do that?

Sounds like examining the plugs is a good idea. If they aren't damaged I could probably clean them. 

Ive got a couple cans of Berrymans, could I run that through the gas? Thanks, Dave

24 minutes ago, Dave P said:

DR- thank you for your reply. The PO did replace the battery recently so that TPS relearn is probably a good idea. How to do that?

Sounds like examining the plugs is a good idea. If they aren't damaged I could probably clean them. 

Ive got a couple cans of Berrymans, could I run that through the gas? Thanks, Dave

Evening Dave

Ive got a couple cans of Berrymans, could I run that through the gas? -- You could but it probably isn't a good choice unless it contains a lot of Techron. You really want to use Techron if possible as that is the best product for cleaning the fuel system.  

TPS re-learn procedure-----

*Disconnect the lead to the battery's positive  post for about 3 minutes.
Then 
*Reconnect the positive lead to the battery's positive post.
Then
*Switch on the ignition. (do not start engine)
Then
*Without starting the engine, fully open/close the throttle once or twice so that the control unit of the BMW engine management system can register the throttle-valve positions.
Then
*Switch off the ignition.

That's it__

Thanks DR, I'll get some Techron tomorrow and gas her up! TPS- relearn, easy peasy!264EF4E5-FC90-4455-AE0D-656BE4EB56F4.thumb.jpeg.21c771c663b40f0ff229d9ae7ba47cc8.jpeg 

DP (I'm actually DRP) ha!

• Like 1